View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Idea for pattern 

Posted on: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:00 am

Post Re: Idea for pattern
beaker wrote:
Am wondering why Jake4 is asking for harder puzzles when he is averaging 32/day for the last 23 days.......personally, I don't need to see any more harder puzzles as I try the Tuesday's 9x9 every week without much success plus if you really need a challenge and the preceding 9x9 isn't challenging enough then do the biweekly 12x12's, or the mod and bitwise or the mixed puzzles. However if you understand mathematical concepts then the mod or bit/wise puzzles won't be difficult. I'd like to know what % of users don't do the bit/wise or mod puzzles successfully.

Doing the upper tier difficulty puzzles != Being able to do the upper tier difficulty puzzles.

Remember that 2.5 or so week stretch when I was 20-30 points/last 7 days ahead of everyone else before timed points were reduced? I'm now in the 80's in terms of total points. I have the capability of working the puzzles, I just don't have the time or the motivation.

Also, the motivation behind asking for this particular puzzle is more to do with that it's a cool design, not much to do with an actual challenge.

As for the heron, generally with water fowl they're much cooler to see in flight because of the absolutely breathtaking wingspan. The gangly legs just look awkward to me when they're on the ground too. I imagine, though, that crapping everywhere doesn't help much as to appreciating the bird, but still, it would be really cool to have a bird like that nesting in your yard.

Posted on: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:05 am

Interesting to learn how starling's screen name/nick came about. I'm sure some of us have interesting stories. (I've heard beaker's and his is interesting too.)

Posted on: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 am

My 2 favourite birds are the hummingbird and the kingfisher!

Posted on: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:59 am

beaker wrote:
Am wondering why Jake4 is asking for harder puzzles when he is averaging 32/day for the last 23 days.......

The 6x6's with the new pattern are easier than the sample puzzle I posted though, so don't worry :-)

Posted on: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:03 am

beaker wrote:
Am wondering why Jake4 is asking for harder puzzles when he is averaging 32/day for the last 23 days.......personally, I don't need to see any more harder puzzles as I try the Tuesday's 9x9 every week without much success plus if you really need a challenge and the preceding 9x9 isn't challenging enough then do the biweekly 12x12's, or the mod and bitwise or the mixed puzzles. However if you understand mathematical concepts then the mod or bit/wise puzzles won't be difficult. I'd like to know what % of users don't do the bit/wise or mod puzzles successfully.

Am wondering why my pts/day average matters in the least....I wasn't aware Patrick put a threshold to be reached before ideas could be posted. If this puzzle isn't to your liking, I'm sure he would be interested in hearing ideas that are more your speed.

starling wrote:
Doing the upper tier difficulty puzzles != Being able to do the upper tier difficulty puzzles.
I just don't have the time or the motivation.

Also, the motivation behind asking for this particular puzzle is more to do with that it's a cool design, not much to do with an actual challenge.

starling gets it, 100%.

starling wrote:
As for the heron, generally with water fowl they're much cooler to see in flight because of the absolutely breathtaking wingspan. The gangly legs just look awkward to me when they're on the ground too. I imagine, though, that crapping everywhere doesn't help much as to appreciating the bird, but still, it would be really cool to have a bird like that nesting in your yard.

Yeah, I could do without the crapping, but at least I have it better than the folks a few streets over who have nests in the trees on their street. Then their cars get crapped on. The coolest thing about these birds, compared to the usual birds one might see nesting, is that the chicks get to be enormous. Not like your everyday robin (or wren).

beaker wrote:
My 2 favourite birds are the hummingbird and the kingfisher!

Hummers are great as well. My parents have a family of birds (or their progeny) that come back year after year. There's a trait that is passed down that gives some of the females noticeably more slender necks than others. They get to know the birds and their chicks each season, and delight in seeing them return the next year.

Posted on: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 pm

Patrick had already responded and I hadn't noticed.......sorry about that.............Ken

Posted on: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:12 am

Thanks for the puzzle, Patrick. Just solved it! :)

Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2