View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:22 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Book puzzle A2G4 

Posted on: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Post Book puzzle A2G4
This is another 4 star puzzle that I have really struggled with. I've been trying for about a week now, but I keep on getting stuck at the same point, no matter what direction I approach it from. I think I've gone through all the steps logically, but I must be making a mistake somewhere. At this stage, I 've wasted several hours on it and it's driving me crazy.

I'm happy to go through my logic if anyone's interested, but it would be helpful if Patrick could post a photo of the puzzle so that people will know what I'm talking about.

Paul

Posted on: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Post Re: Book puzzle A2G4
paulv66 wrote:
This is another 4 star puzzle that I have really struggled with. I've been trying for about a week now, but I keep on getting stuck at the same point, no matter what direction I approach it from. I think I've gone through all the steps logically, but I must be making a mistake somewhere. At this stage, I 've wasted several hours on it and it's driving me crazy.

I'm happy to go through my logic if anyone's interested, but it would be helpful if Patrick could post a photo of the puzzle so that people will know what I'm talking about.

Paul

Paul,

I've done all of 121 Advanced Puzzles, volume II and I'm pretty sure I know where it is in my house. Please feel free to PM me your logic so far and I'll see if I can find any flaws or offer any insights.

Cheers,
jaek

Posted on: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks jaek

I've sent you a step by step up to the point where I now realise that I made an assumption that may be incorrect.

Cheers
Paul

Posted on: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Jaek confirmed that I had identified the point at which I went wrong and I finally managed to solve the puzzle. I'd hate to think how many hours i spent on it, but I guess I got there eventually. On to the next puzzle!

Posted on: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:57 pm

paulv66 wrote:
Jaek confirmed that I had identified the point at which I went wrong and I finally managed to solve the puzzle. I'd hate to think how many hours i spent on it, but I guess I got there eventually. On to the next puzzle!

It's interesting how you identified the issue while laying out the steps you'd made. Quite literally all I did was that confirmation. I'm glad it all fell into place.

Posted on: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:00 pm

jaek wrote:
paulv66 wrote:

It's interesting how you identified the issue while laying out the steps you'd made. Quite literally all I did was that confirmation. I'm glad it all fell into place.

I think the discipline of having to set it out step by step caused me to examine my reasoning in more detail. I guess I might have got there eventually, but sometimes I can develop a blind spot and keep making the same mistaken assumption over and over again. It doesn't tend to happen with regular puzzles (i.e. puzzles with the numbers starting at 1) except occasionally with larger puzzles when I sometimes forget I can use numbers higher than 9.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

PS: I have three books on the go at the moment - Advanced puzzles II and III and Holiday Puzzles. I know the holiday puzzles are worth fewer points than the advanced puzzles (10 v 12), but it seems to me that there's a big difference in the level of difficulty, with the 5 star holiday puzzles generally easier than the 4 star advanced puzzles. Did other people find this?

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]