View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:35 pm



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Timed Puzzle Bonus 
Author Message
User avatar

Posted on: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:46 pm




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: timed puzzle bonus
pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
anyway, "keeping the wheels in the circuit" during let's say 90 seconds in a 6x6 (that additionally is in general more complex than a 4x4) represents more "stress" than let's say 20 seconds in a 4x4, that's why I was thinking in some better prize

Good point. It's a longer race.


Yes, it's longer, but the person who wins the 100m race in the Olympics still gets the same size gold medal as the person who wins the 1000m race.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:53 pm




Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: timed puzzle bonus
sneaklyfox wrote:
Yes, it's longer, but the person who wins the 100m race in the Olympics still gets the same size gold medal as the person who wins the 1000m race.

And another good point!
All these great analogies :-)
To continue, some people are sprint puzzlers, others are better at long distance :)


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:59 am




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
I know we already have a "Timed Puzzle Ranking" but can we have another one that has the total points won from doing just timed puzzles? (starling would probably be happy with that.) Actually, we can have 3 different rankings.
-Untimed puzzle ranking
-Timed puzzle ranking
-Overall puzzle ranking (both together, which is what the current "Rankings" show)

To kind of separate them, I think this would satisfy those who don't like timed puzzles, those who are really good at timed puzzles but don't do all the untimed puzzles, and everybody else. To continue with analogies, it's like the biathlon where you have skiing and shooting. So we have lists that show who's really good at skiing, who's really good at shooting, and who's good at both together.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:50 am




Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 9:44 am
Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
YES! Untimed/timed/both. Great plan. Then remove the points for doing puzzles out of books - or score them separately - and it works for me.


Profile

Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:14 am




Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:21 am
Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
What if the points awarded for timed puzzles was based on the number of people who complete them or complete them under a set time. e.g. if 24 people complete them then fastest time gets 24 points & slowest gets 1 point or to keep the points lower then the top 1/8th (top 3 fastest in this example) get 8 then next 1/8th (4-6) get 7 points down to the bottom 3 get 1 point. This would help to get more people to do them as well as reward everyone for having a crack at them.

I like doing the timed puzzles but have no chance of getting in the top 8 (my fastest 4x4 is 19 secs), I've got no idea how some of you manage to do it in 7 secs :ugeek: as I doubt I could even enter 1-4 in each row in any order in that time :lol: :oops: :D :o :shock:


Profile

Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 pm




Posts: 690
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: timed puzzle bonus
pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
Yes, it's longer, but the person who wins the 100m race in the Olympics still gets the same size gold medal as the person who wins the 1000m race.

And another good point!
All these great analogies :-)
To continue, some people are sprint puzzlers, others are better at long distance :)


Correct for the moment, but if in the future we have an 8x8 or even a 9x9 timed (and we would need let's say 15 to 20 minutes to solve each attempt, we will not be very happy with the "possibility" of getting 10 points, or perhaps 2 or 0, for those "1000m" races, having spent let's say more than one hour and a half, while if at least there is a "possibility" for 30 points, i.e., many more would try it.

Another suggestion: Even if the other "cars" (C2, C3) are not given points, all the results could appear in the daily ranking, in time position (without the prize), at least it is a "moral" satisfaction (for the good results, for the bad better do not show!!!) (the timed ranking is not so long).


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 pm




Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: timed puzzle bonus
clm wrote:
Correct for the moment, but if in the future we have an 8x8 or even a 9x9 timed (and we would need let's say 15 to 20 minutes to solve each attempt, we will not be very happy with the "possibility" of getting 10 points

Very true.
clm wrote:
Another suggestion: Even if the other "cars" (C2, C3) are not given points, all the results could appear in the daily ranking, in time position (without the prize), at least it is a "moral" satisfaction (for the good results, for the bad better do not show!!!) (the timed ranking is not so long).

Another good suggestion, thanks :-)


Profile

Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:04 pm




Posts: 98
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 12:48 am
Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
First off I want to say that I fall into the category of people who don't like timed puzzles. I find that I'm usually a little burnt out from doing the regular puzzles by the time I get to them, but in order to stay in the rankings I do have to do them. I have noticed that with continuous puzzling(?) on them my times have improved, so for all those out there who are not posting quick enough times to score, keep at it! You should see improvement.

All that aside, I do like this idea:

sneaklyfox wrote:
I know we already have a "Timed Puzzle Ranking" but can we have another one that has the total points won from doing just timed puzzles? (starling would probably be happy with that.) Actually, we can have 3 different rankings.
-Untimed puzzle ranking
-Timed puzzle ranking
-Overall puzzle ranking (both together, which is what the current "Rankings" show)

To kind of separate them, I think this would satisfy those who don't like timed puzzles, those who are really good at timed puzzles but don't do all the untimed puzzles, and everybody else. To continue with analogies, it's like the biathlon where you have skiing and shooting. So we have lists that show who's really good at skiing, who's really good at shooting, and who's good at both together.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:45 pm




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 am
Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
Going back to my idea of separating into 3 rankings, I thought of two issues:
1. What do we do with points from books? (This was pointed out.)
2. What about bonus puzzles?

I'm glad to hear people like this idea, but we still have to solve those issues in a satisfactory manner.


Profile

Posted on: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:25 am




Posts: 98
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 12:48 am
Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
sneaklyfox wrote:
Going back to my idea of separating into 3 rankings, I thought of two issues:
1. What do we do with points from books? (This was pointed out.)
2. What about bonus puzzles?

I'm glad to hear people like this idea, but we still have to solve those issues in a satisfactory manner.

Well obviously neither of this fall in to the category of timed puzzles :) .

I think that there are about 9-10 of us who finish all the puzzles all the time. What is to differentiate us within the un-timed category? The bonus puzzles and the book puzzle points. There seems to be three permutations where the bonus puzzles could be applied; Un-timed puzzle score + book puzzles + timed puzzles, Un-timed puzzles + book puzzles, and just un-timed puzzles. I am inclined to think that the book puzzle factor is trivial in that it is finite(unless pnm becomes far more proliferate) and so can be disregarded.

The question than becomes whether to include the timed puzzle points into when the bonus puzzles become available.

I personally would prefer this solution. This would only factor in a small advantage to the 'speedy' solvers, but would still differentiate between the top players in the un-timed rankings, and we all know that competition is the spice of life!


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.