Calcudoku puzzle forum
http://www.calcudoku.org/forum/

interesting race
http://www.calcudoku.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=869
Page 1 of 3

Author:  pnm  [ Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  interesting race

Image

So if I score my typical 9 or so timed puzzle points a day, I'll be at 13822 in 3 days.

And if jpoos scores his typical 20 points a day, he'll be at 13824 then... [blink]

So it's close alright [omg]

Author:  jpoos  [ Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

I'm hoping the three of us end up sharing the first place for a day [lol]

But you'll probably be there first, it's not too often I score 60 points in 3 days (though today it's looking like I'll get 20...)

Author:  pnm  [ Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

jpoos wrote:
But you'll probably be there first, it's not too often I score 60 points in 3 days (though today it's looking like I'll get 20...)


You're on a roll [scared]

Now I wish I had finished a few more puzzles, just to get the point.

(usually when I get stuck on the 8x8, for example, I just quit the puzzle)

And practiced a bit [glare]

Author:  jpoos  [ Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

pnm wrote:
Now I wish I had finished a few more puzzles, just to get the point.

(usually when I get stuck on the 8x8, for example, I just quit the puzzle)


Same here, I sometimes don't even solve a single 6x6 or 5x5 [sad]

Author:  marblevolcano  [ Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

I usually complete them just to get the point, because sometimes my best time ends up like 2:30 or something dismal like that [sad]

Author:  jpoos  [ Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

jpoos wrote:
pnm wrote:
Now I wish I had finished a few more puzzles, just to get the point.

(usually when I get stuck on the 8x8, for example, I just quit the puzzle)


Same here, I sometimes don't even solve a single 6x6 or 5x5 [sad]


jpoos wrote:
Same here, I sometimes don't even solve a single 6x6 or 5x5 [sad]


jpoos wrote:
Same here, I sometimes don't even solve a single 6x6


In addition to that, my 4x4's were garbage, so I guess you basically win now [glare]

Author:  pnm  [ Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

jpoos wrote:
In addition to that, my 4x4's were garbage, so I guess you basically win now [glare]


It's hard to predict.

When someone pointed out how close we were, that made it a target.

But sometimes when you're really trying, you mess up (like Sunday, I think I got only 5 timed bonus points,
even though I picked a good quiet time, thought I was all focused, drank my coffee, etc. etc...)

Author:  pnm  [ Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

And I'm not making things easy for myself [sad]

The first time I posted today was a 32 second 6x6, so I thought that was a good sign.

(I do them in the order 6, 5, 4, 6, 5, 4, 6, 5, 4, then 8, then 6, 5, 4 again)
(probably 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, etc. is better, but I don't want to jinx anything..)

Then I messed up all other puzzles (a 9 second 4x4, 36 second 5x5, and a 12 minute 8x8... )

I think as things stand now I'll have to find 10 bonus points tomorrow [mellow]

Author:  sjs34  [ Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

I will claim credit for pointing out the sheldolina-pnm-jpoos phenomenon to Patrick on January 11. At the time the 7 day and 30 day totals made it appear that jpoos would easily pass Patrick before Patrick could catch sheldolina. Clearly Patrick has upped his game since then.

Good luck, Patrick, for a day as leader.

Author:  clm  [ Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: interesting race

pnm wrote:
...
When someone pointed out how close we were, that made it a target.

But sometimes when you're really trying, you mess up (like Sunday, I think I got only 5 timed bonus points,
even though I picked a good quiet time, thought I was all focused, drank my coffee, etc. etc...)


You will probably gain this race and keep the "laurea" for a few days [thumbup]. But coffee could be the problem :-) :-), my particular recommendation is something salty ... :-) :-), at least this works better in my case (though it's obvious that I am a very medium/bad player in timed puzzles [thumbdn]). What you say it's true, sometimes if you try to gain a few seconds and go too fast you can lose minutes, that's the curious paradox, that even in timed puzzles the italian expression "chi va piano va sano e va lontano" is valid [smile].

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/