View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 timed puzzle points not right? 

Posted on: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Post Re: timed puzzle points not right?
opacitaviola wrote:
"The Bridge on the River Kwai"

wow
what a throw back
now i will have to watch it again

Yeah, sure those who love cinema like this "master work", David Lean is probably one of the all time greatest directors and the film is an strange conjunction: american production (though the independent producer Sam Spiegel was born in central Europe), great English actors (Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, ... ), the great Japanese actor Sessue Hayakawa, etc, ... and the great French novelist Pierre Boulle (it's true that of "short" novels and not very prolific) (btw, Pierre Boulle won the Oscar to the screenplay adaptation on his own novel while he used to confess that he did not know any word of English, and only said "Merci" when he received the statue, the shortest speech in the history of the American Awards). But Pierre Boulle (I also like much the novel "Planet of the Apes" and the corresponding Franklin Schaffner's film, the first version of course) is one of those novelists (F. Scott Fitzgerald, Albert Camus, Alberto Moravia, ... ) that wrote in a style such that you can "see" the story as a film while you are reading the novel, so they are "asking" an adaptation to the cinema (some science-fiction authors like, i.e., Philip K. Dick or Arthur C. Clarke are similar, in my opinion).

Posted on: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:13 pm

clm wrote:
great English actors (Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, ... )

In my opinion this picture is the greater work of Alec Guiness and he deserved an Oscar!
He was a complete actor in all kind of movies. Did you see the comedy " Murder by Death "?

Posted on: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 pm

jomapil wrote:
clm wrote:
great English actors (Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, ... )

In my opinion this picture is the greater work of Alec Guiness and he deserved an Oscar!
He was a complete actor in all kind of movies. Did you see the comedy " Murder by Death "?

Yes, very amused comedy-thriller, but among the comedies with Guinness ("The Swan", "The Horse's Mouth", "The Man in the White Suit", etc.) my preferred is "The Ladykillers" (that "Professor Marcus", directed by another genious, Alexander Mackendrick, who also made the wonderful film "A High Wind in Jamaica" and, possibly, though uncredited, "The guns of Navarone", attributed to Jack Lee Thompson as the "official" director).
In my opinion Guinness would deserve the title of "Man of a Thousand Faces" better than Lon Chaney (Guinness has made many and very different characters, I specially like "Yevgraf" in "Doctor Zhivago" and "the Prince Feisal" in "Lawrence of Arabia", etc.).

Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2