View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 5x5 puzzles missing 

Posted on: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 am

Post 5x5 puzzles missing
Why have I stopped seeing the 5x5 puzzles for the last two days? It seems to be related to the crazy 500 point jump to the next bonus puzzle.

Posted on: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:25 am

Post Re: 5x5 puzzles missing
Hi, please note that there is a special section of the forum for reporting suspected bugs and errors. As for the increased jump between bonus puzzle targets, see this thread in that section.

The cause of the lack of 5x5 puzzles for the last two days is that, as part of a general discussion about what to change about the site to attract more users, Patrick has proposed (an implemented as an experiment) a new schedule with fewer puzzles but more variety.

Posted on: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:29 am

Thank you for the prompt reply. I can't say that either change is making the site more attractive for me.

Posted on: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:47 am

rongoodman wrote:
I can't say that either change is making the site more attractive for me.

As a recovering calcudoku addict who used to spend hours at this site almost every day, I am actually somewhat relieved about it. Some users agree with you, though, but user feedback points in many directions so Patrick has a difficult task in trying to find a format that will please everyone. (The thread will give you a general idea about the diversity of opinions and rationales.)

Posted on: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Also note that if you want a bunch more (10, in fact) Calcudoku puzzles to solve every day,
you can go to http://www.321monkey.com

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 pm

pnm wrote:
Also note that if you want a bunch more (10, in fact) Calcudoku puzzles to solve every day,
you can go to http://www.321monkey.com

Yes, it seems like I am the only non-Dutch user of that site, so there is space for plenty more [cool]
An experienced calcudoku.org user should be able to solve all 10 puzzles within 30-60 minutes.

(edited to add:)

Patrick has now fixed a minor time-lag problem mentioned in a previous version of this post so that the new puzzles at 321monkey.com again appear exactly at 19:00 CET every day. Being among the first five solvers of any puzzle will earn you at least one bonus point, and there is a 10-point bonus for solving all puzzles on any given day. Puzzles will earn you points even if you don't solve them within 24 hours of publication, as long as you solve them by the end of the week (that is, before 19:00 CET on Sunday). Rankings are done separately for different age groups, meaning that sheldolina, the only "elite" solver of timed puzzles at calcudoku.org also currently active at 321monkey.com, is ranked with other under-18-year-olds so that it is not entirely unrealistic for those of us over 18 to become the weekly winner of our age group. [smile]

For continuity, I would recommend that you register at 321monkey.com with the same username that you are using here at calcudoku.org. (Do note that even if you use the same username at both sites, the points from the two sites are not pooled, which is a good thing, because otherwise many of us would feel compelled to solve all daily puzzles at both sites to maintain our rankings.) :-)

(31 Jan 2013 addition:)
RIP, 321monkey.com! [crying]
Long live the excellent, continuously improved calcudoku.org! [thumbsup]

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]