View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 No Op Problem 

Posted on: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Post No Op Problem
8/4/13. Completed puzzle with no error indicators but the site does not recognize the solution. I have triple checked to make sure all of the appropriate operators are indicated.

Posted on: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Post Re: No Op Problem
I had the same experience. Might there be two solutions to the puzzle?

Posted on: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 am

Strange. I just tried to reproduce that problem by solving the puzzle again in this manner: First I entered all the numbers without indicating any operators at all, then I added the operators. The usual congratulations message for solving the puzzle popped up immediately as I indicated the last operator. I am using Firefox on Windows Vista on an old-fashioned laptop. Are you using another configuration such as a tablet computer?

(Edited to add:) The solution to a no-op puzzle is unique with respect to numbers but not necessarily with respect to operators. In both of the cages in this puzzle that have 2 as a result, both multiplication and division are valid operators given the numbers that go there. I have tested all of the four valid combinations of operators in the two cages that go with the correct ordering of the numbers (multiplication and multiplication; multiplication and division; division and multiplication; division and division). In all four cases the congratulations message popped up on my system.

Posted on: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:56 pm

kketcham wrote:
8/4/13. Completed puzzle with no error indicators but the site does not recognize the solution. I have triple checked to make sure all of the appropriate operators are indicated.

I'll check once back from my (short) holiday :)

(will be back this Wed)

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:01 am

kketcham wrote:

I would check for uniqueness of your soloution. That wouldn't throw up error flags but would be rejected as the right soloution.

Posted on: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:31 am

kketcham wrote:

Thanks for the report, this was a nasty bug to find (applying only to the no-op puzzle),
all should be fixed now :-)

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]