View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Windows Menu Key 

Posted on: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:50 am

Post Windows Menu Key
Minor, somewhat amusing bug. It appears that on the 7x7 Extra puzzles that have a range of -3 to 3, hitting the windows menu key will place the value 45 in that cell (in addition to opening the applicable browser menu.) It does not seem to happen on most (and perhaps any) other puzzle types from what I can find - just the 7x7 Extras with the -3 to 3 range.

It also explains why you might have seen an invalid solution message when I first "solved" the 7x7 - putting the 45 in a "0:" cage solved the puzzle, but it was detected as invalid when the solution was presented to the server.

I first ran into this in firefox and confirmed it also behaved that way in IE.

Posted on: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:51 am

Post Re: Windows Menu Key
That's an odd one.

I'll try to reproduce it (but this does in involve finding a computer here that runs Windows,
_and_ has a Windows key on the keyboard..)

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Post Re: Windows Menu Key
It is odd, and I only noticed it accidentally as I was flipping between the ALT and CTRL keys and hit it by accident (it is a key I never use.) Out of curiosity, I tried it on two other computers, one with the menu key and one on a small laptop/tablet where the menu key is accessed by hitting Fn-Left CTRL. The 45 appeared in the former case but not in the latter. I also tried CTRL-Shift-F10, which pulls up the same menu as the menu key (at least in most applications) and there is no 45, so it seems to be very specific to the code for the physical key. Really not something to spend much time to fix, but I find it intriguing.

In doing this, I noticed something else - the Delete key enters "-2". Interestingly, that means shift-DEL results in a "-2" guess and CTRL-DEL results in a "+2" guess. This only works where -2 is allowed (-3 to +3 7x7 and -2 to +2 5x5) so it really doesn't break anything - just a surprising way to enter "-2". As an aside to this, I would actually love a standard shortcut for negative numbers - perhaps Z=-1, Y=-2, X=-3. This avoids any confusion/conflict with A-F as 10-15, and unless you start making some really crazy puzzles, there probably won't be any danger of running out of letters.

Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]