View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Number of days solving puzzles 

Posted on: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Post Re: Number of days solving puzzles
wjgjr wrote:
Yeah, my number dropped too. But, I think I really did miss a day - I just got credit for the timed puzzles that day from the prior day. I'm guessing it was previously counting for the later day but is now being counted with the prior day when the timed puzzles were actually completed.

Friend, you've come upon the dark underbelly of calcudokuing! It's a sad, harrowing tale that needs to be told as a warning to future generations. You see, I'm bram, and I'm a deliberate inflater of the count of consecutive days [scared]
Yes, I can only imagine the shock and sense of betrayal all you regulars must be feeling right now. You may have been thinking of me as a (reasonably) straight shooter, and now this [blush]
Curse the day I discovered the timed-puzzle trick! [cursing] It may seem innocent at first (just a pleasant surprise, really) when you've missed out on the 'doku for one day through no fault of your own and then find that the timed puzzles from the day before have maintained your count of consecutive days. But then one day you'll tell yourself there's no harm in scheduling time away from puzzling. And so you put the whole thing on autopilot for a day by making sure to solve a least one timed puzzle the day before. "Only this once, right?" Yeah, right [thumbdn]
Once you've walked down that road, there's no turning back. It's like a gateway drug. Slowly but surely, you'll feel more and more entitled to your phony, inflated, immoral consecutive-day count! [angry] And you'll start making up increasingly far-fetched excuses: "Those consecutive days aren't displayed for others to see (except maybe in obscure forum threads once in a while), so it isn't really cheating!" Pathetic, I know, but that's how it works. Trust me, I've been there [sad]

Thanks to Our Founder for unveiling the truth and making me own up to past mistakes! I may have been going, "My Preciousss!" at the sight of the fake 402-day count on my monitor, but what a relief it is to look my real count of 171 days straight in the eye and know I actually accomplished this [smile]

This message was sponsored by Concerned Calcudokuers for Transparency and Accountability.

PS: Shoutout to the true completists who never miss a day and have the gold stars to prove it :-)

Posted on: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Definitely another thing to check, if apparently the timed puzzle does count towards the number
of days, but in the total recompute it didn't (?)

Posted on: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:00 pm

pnm wrote:
Definitely another thing to check, if apparently the timed puzzle does count towards the number
of days, but in the total recompute it didn't (?)
I actually haven't noticed if it still does after you introduced the short computing timeout right after midnight (my exaggerated 402-day count was computed before that happened). Of course the timed puzzles should count – on the proper day, that is – assuming someone logs in and solves only timed but no regular puzzles.
Yesterday's timed puzzles are shown on my history page as having been solved yesterday, but they are shown only after the puzzles I solved during the first hour-and-a-couple-of-minutes of today (CET). Before you introduced the timeout, they would have showed up as having been solved today. However, I haven't checked recently if the timed puzzles solved on a given day will count towards the consecutive-days score on behalf of the day on which they were solved or on behalf of the following day [smile]

Posted on: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm

There is in fact an error with the computation:

Each day at (currently) 6.30 am CET, all solved puzzle entries of the previous day are checked:
- the first 'solved' entry of the day is determined
- the first entry of the current day is determined
- for all entries in between those two, for each unique account id, 1 is added to the number of consecutive days puzzling
- the maximum consecutive count is updated if necessary

There are problems with this approach:
- the "timed puzzle bonus" entries are present in the database (currently added at 1.10am), but not checked because they were added after the first entry of the new day (!)
- old puzzles that were solved on the previous day "count"

The first being a bigger issue than the 2nd (i.e. it doesn't matter you solved an old puzzle on a given day,
you still solved one on that day).

I'll try to fix this..

Patrick

Posted on: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Alright, all numbers have been recomputed again [blink]

And the daily update should be correct now (it now checks yesterday's solved puzzles, and
any timed puzzle bonuses that were added for yesterday).

Patrick

Posted on: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:28 pm

Here's a first pass at a "streak ranking page":

http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/consec_rankings/en

Posted on: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks a lot for the very interesting explanation! And for fixing the issue, of course [wink]

Posted on: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 am

I really like the streak ranking page.
Its informative.
[namaste]

Is there any way to have a gold star ranking page?

Posted on: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:57 pm

pnm wrote:
Here's a first pass at a "streak ranking page":

http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/consec_rankings/en

Is it possible to highlight the visitor’s name on the list? Of course I can perform Ctrl+F, but still [biggrin]

Profile WWW

Posted on: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:08 pm

ambidexter wrote:
Is it possible to highlight the visitor’s name on the list? Of course I can perform Ctrl+F, but still [biggrin]

Ok, that should be in there now [lol]

You may need to log out and log back in again for it to work.

Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2