View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 more of which puzzle? 

Posted on: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:40 am

Post Re: more of which puzzle?
pnm wrote:
picklepep wrote:
At one point you had a 7x7 that incorporated all the specialty operations. I think it was one of the bonus puzzles, but it was fairly easy. I think something like that could get people more used to the alternative operators.

Yes, "7x7 ManyOp" (on Mondays), I ended up dropping the bitwise OR operator from that one..
Patrick

Keep the timed puzzles in the "timed puzzles area" and just put in an easy 7x7/8x8 or 9/9 or alternate the 3 on 3 different weeks. Or give us an easy 7x7 or 8x8 double puzzle on alsternate weeks

Posted on: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:07 pm

I enjoy all the special puzzles except the all-multiplication 8x8 pattern which is usually pretty uninteresting. The "Variations" chapter of "101 Advanced Puzzles" was appealing. I particularly like twins and large. Bigger twins and more 10x10, 12x12, and 16x16 regulars would be nice. A few easier 9x9s and above or specials could be relaxing for advanced puzzlers and engaging for newer puzzlers.

I do not like timed puzzles. I think they are a very different entity than untimed ones. I appreciate that highest recognition should be given to those good at both but I keep hoping that Patrick will also develop separate rankings for timed and untimed.

This is my first post so I'll do the self-identifying that others have in the past. I'm a 65 year old pen and paper male with minimal computer skills. There certainly appears to be a divergence by age regarding whether or not one enjoys timed puzzles.

Posted on: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 pm

A large twin, maybe 10x10 sounds fun, actually.

And yes, probably those who like timed puzzles are of the *younger* age group, but I don't know for sure because only a few people have said how old they are. When one gets older the synapses just don't fire as quickly.

Posted on: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:05 am

sjs34 wrote:
I enjoy all the special puzzles except the all-multiplication 8x8 pattern which is usually pretty uninteresting. The "Variations" chapter of "101 Advanced Puzzles" was appealing. I particularly like twins and large. Bigger twins and more 10x10, 12x12, and 16x16 regulars would be nice. A few easier 9x9s and above or specials could be relaxing for advanced puzzlers and engaging for newer puzzlers.

I do not like timed puzzles. I think they are a very different entity than untimed ones. I appreciate that highest recognition should be given to those good at both but I keep hoping that Patrick will also develop separate rankings for timed and untimed.

This is my first post so I'll do the self-identifying that others have in the past. I'm a 65 year old pen and paper male with minimal computer skills. There certainly appears to be a divergence by age regarding whether or not one enjoys timed puzzles.

I too have minimal computer skills and no understanding of mod or bitwise puzzles.....I would prefer lower numbered twins in the 7x7 and 8x8 range.....my math skills are questionable once I get into certain 9x9's, 10x10's and 12x12's.....and am also a paper and pen male of 67

Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3