View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Hard patterns 

Posted on: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Post Re: Hard patterns
jomapil wrote:
But after the edition the thread passes to unread? Or a person that read the first time doesn't know it was corrected?

Ah right, good point, I don't think the message is marked as unread
(there was this problem with the Christmas puzzle I think, when I added the code later)

Posted on: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Another difficult puzzle ( very very difficult ) is the 8x8 difficult of today 22MAR2012). I gave up. And the degree only 72? The modules are the more difficult puzzles and the configuration of today aid to render more difficult.
How is it possible to solve this one without the famous trial ( many many ) and error ( many many )?
Is there anyone so kindness to present the solution step by step and not only the final solution?
It would be very appreciated.

Posted on: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:49 pm

jomapil wrote:
Another difficult puzzle ( very very difficult ) is the 8x8 difficult of today 22MAR2012). I gave up. And the degree only 72? The modules are the more difficult puzzles and the configuration of today aid to render more difficult.
How is it possible to solve this one without the famous trial ( many many ) and error ( many many )?
Is there anyone so kindness to present the solution step by step and not only the final solution?

Yes, today's mod 8x8 seemed harder than others of its kind.

Posted on: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Like I said before, I use clm's charts and the correction mode but after trying a number of different combinations (ie:guessing), the numbers just don't fit for me today and I too am thinking this one is a "bit" more difficult (I see at this time only 42 users have solved it where as 71 users have solved the 12x12!!!

Posted on: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 am

Getting it down to 3 trial and error options for 128x was straightforward. 8441 appeared likeliest for success or elimination so it was the first that I tried. Happily, it brought success.

Posted on: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:49 pm

jomapil wrote:

The 23MAR2012 8x8 is rated 76.2 and I solved it much more quickly than yesterday's. In addition, it has been solved 114 times in 17 hours while yesterday's was only solved 60 times.

Yesterday I got hung up on the 128x for a while, but couldn't come up with anything definitive. I finally made some headway when I focused on 14,+,d4d5e4e5 in combination with 20,x,c4c5 and 15,x,d2e1e2. And then I probably made a complete guess before finally finishing it. I honestly don't remember because it had been such a slog up to that point.

I bet that if you start solving from the correct portion of the grid things would fall into place fairly quickly. Thus the 72 rating. I was just naturally drawn to the 128x since it was necessarily composed of 1s 2s 4s and/or 8s and that seems to have been the wrong choice.

For instance, maybe the 1mod cages in columns b and h are a counter-intuitively good place to start. I shied away from them since there seemed to be so many possibilities.

When all is said and done, I think Patrick's solver is just smarter than me. :)

On a tangent, should this discussion be in "Specific puzzles/your own puzzles"?

Posted on: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Wow! Another difficult puzzle the 12x12 of today! It has (is?) 182 points of difficulty [ the last one had (was?) 155 points]. I think it's the higher classification I saw in a puzzle.
For me it was a little difficult the beginning but after that it became normal.

Posted on: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 pm

jomapil wrote:

OK, I hope I can help a little, I have sent a post to the Section "Solving strategies and tips" (I think it is better there due to its length and also with the idea of having there a "step by step" for an 8x8 "mod function") with a full detailed "analytical" solution for this puzzle. If you have any comments pse tell me.

Posted on: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Thank you, Clm, for your kindness.
I'm going to study your method because it is, certainly, better than mine.
Those puzzles ( modules ) I solve them with many " trial and error "

Posted on: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:11 am

Why is it that alot more users have solved the 9x9 with a higher difficulty rating than the 7x7 (difficult)......I am one of those and find these 7x7's each week one of the hardest to solve [confused]

Whoops [biggrin] just solved it by randomly guessing the right sequences a number of times until one fit......night all [sleep]

Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next