View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:50 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 fewer puzzles? 

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:19 am

Post fewer puzzles?
I know this was mentioned in another thread, but it took me forever to find it because it was in the "testing killer sudokus" thread.

Can we have fewer normal daily puzzles? I sort of want to spend less time doing calcudokus everyday. (Of course, I could just not do them all.) Couple ideas...

1. Simply cut back. Everyday has up to 6x6 hard. Then beyond that it is less. Like one day will just have two 7x7s beyond that. Another will have two 8x8s. One day has 9x9, another 10x10, another 12x12 once a week instead of twice.

2. If you have gold star for yesterday then you automatically get the points for 4x4 easy all the way to 6x6 hard the next day. This makes the gold star idea have a practical use. And those who can complete all the puzzles in a day up to the really hard stuff can surely do the easy ones so why make them sit and punch in the numbers? Of course, if they still want the fun of doing easy calcudokus, they can. But for points it is not necessary. I know this doesn't cut a lot of time since 4x4 - 6x6 takes the least amount of time, but a few minutes does help anyway.

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 am

Post Re: fewer puzzles?
Interesting and opportune idea! Good point!
I'm in agreement with Sneaklyfox.

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 am

I do not think it's necessary to eliminate puzzles, it's perfectly possible to keep the actual scheme, further I would put even more and more variated (all types: 13x13, 14x14, 16x16, more logical function, three-dimensional, "blind", including sudoku killers or sudo-calcudokus as I proposed long time ago). The clue, perhaps, is the original Patrick's idea of limiting the points (let' say 45 per day, for instance) a puzzler could do by choosing among that big sample (each puzzler would select those who like more, the more difficult, the more easy, ...); 8 points more should be guaranteed for subscribers (this is important to support the page [biggrin]).
But additionally another, let's say, 15 points, could be provided for each puzzler as "free daily disposition" (maximum per day) among books, timed, etc. ...

With respect to the rankings (though this is discussed in a different thread), I am not in favour of eliminating the all time or any other, simply add more, as mentioned by jomapil, 30-day totals, 6-month, one year, actual consecutive gold stars, 200 days sending puzzles, 6-month sending puzzles, more averages, ... , making richer the statistics. A different question is which of these must be shown in the first position, this will always be very subjective and under debate, in my country we have a little saying that (more or less well translated) says "it never rains in the way that everybody likes" :-) .

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:34 am

clm wrote:
(all types: 13x13, 14x14, 16x16, more logical function, three-dimensional, "blind", including sudoku killers or sudo-calcudokus

... at least a 16x16 monthly!

... and with the many suggestions of the last days and the irritating bugs appeared, Patrick must be one month without sleeping [sad] .

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:34 pm

It sounds like 'solver fatigue' is setting in. It hit me, ironically enough, when I subscribed and suddenly had an extra puzzle to solve every day and a bunch of book puzzles as well.

Here's yet another possible solution. Grant points for just the first eight or nine puzzles solved in a given day. A book solution would count as one solution. Timed puzzles, in total, could count as one solution so that the three guaranteed points would be worth a 5x5 or an easy 6x6. The extra puzzle for subscribers could still be an extra solution so that subscription has its benefits. And the bonus puzzle should still be a bonus.

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:14 pm

jaek wrote:
It sounds like 'solver fatigue' is setting in. It hit me, ironically enough, when I subscribed and suddenly had an extra puzzle to solve every day and a bunch of book puzzles as well.

Here's yet another possible solution. Grant points for just the first eight or nine puzzles solved in a given day. A book solution would count as one solution. Timed puzzles, in total, could count as one solution so that the three guaranteed points would be worth a 5x5 or an easy 6x6. The extra puzzle for subscribers could still be an extra solution so that subscription has its benefits. And the bonus puzzle should still be a bonus.

In agreement with you, jaek. I think I do have the solver fatigue. After all, I'm not one of you retired people with so much time on your hands. Three young kids can tire you out. [sleep] Plus, my in-laws went back to Toronto which means less babysitting help. [sad] Plus, my hobby interest is shifting to the cubing. [biggrin]

I like the idea of granting points for the first n puzzles solved in the day.

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:13 pm

jaek wrote:

Yes, like that idea too :-)

still travelling, so please be patient :-)

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:52 pm

sounds like the natives are restless.......ahhh summertime (at least here in the northern hemisphere)

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:21 pm

It's always interesting (in the "may you live in interesting times" sense) when the situation changes from being able to easily consume every item to the case where there are so many items that you can't possibly consume all of them. However, give the choice I'd rather be in the situation where there are more puzzles than I can do as opposed to the case where I've done all the puzzles that are out there and still want to do more.

As far as limiting points per day, how do you avoid the situation where all the good players get the maximum possible number of points every day? At least now the timed puzzles provide some sort of competition to differentiate between players.

pnm wrote:
jaek wrote:

Yes, like that idea too :-)

still travelling, so please be patient :-)

Could you make this granting points for the highest scoring eight or nine puzzles per day as opposed to the first eight or nine? I'd rather not have to do the hardest puzzles first; it would be kind of a letdown to do the easy puzzles at the end of the day.

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:23 pm

mparisi wrote:
Could you make this granting points for the highest scoring eight or nine puzzles per day as opposed to the first eight or nine? I'd rather not have to do the hardest puzzles first; it would be kind of a letdown to do the easy puzzles at the end of the day.

Good call.

Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next