View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Any suggestions? 

Posted on: Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Post Re: Any suggestions?
rossiniman wrote:
I have a suggestion that would serve the beneficial social purpose of keeping yahoo’s like me off the top of the 7 Day ranking! Or at least give a more accurate picture of who the top solvers are, since I can say with certainty that I’m not one of those.

I would create a new list in the rankings for the most points in the last 7 days counting only points from the daily puzzles (including the 12x12s in that category) but excluding the book puzzles. Don’t get me wrong – I think the book puzzles are great; they have incredible variety and are a lot of fun. But counting them in the 7 Day ranking puts a very inaccurate spin on that ranking.

I'll think about it. Maybe at some point I'll put out a 4th edition of the book, which'll be the same except
for the "12 point for each solution" bit.

Posted on: Wed May 25, 2011 2:49 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
rossiniman, I HAVE been at the top of the list without any book puzzles so it's not impossible. You just have to be really good at the normal puzzles and the timed puzzles. When I'm not at the top (or within top 3) it's either because people have used book puzzles to boost their point ranking or I've been tired of late and hence slower in the timed puzzles.

Edit: I count the timed puzzles as part of the "daily puzzles".

I haven't seen anything like this as possible. I expect I turn out the most points of anyone on the timed puzzles, and I've never been higher than 10th as far as I'm aware. You'd basically have to do all the daily untimed puzzles to have anything resembling a chance, and I don't have the time or the patience to work out all of the daily untimed, especially because some of them become significantly harder without the ability to denote possibilities.

Speaking of, a suggestion. If it's easily doable, it would be nice if, while working them online, we had some way to denote the possibilities for a given square written into the program. Something like the possibilities thing at www.kenken.com (Though you may not want to use theirs', since it makes it much easier to solve things since it makes it pretty obvious where certain things are down to one possibility) would be nice.

Posted on: Wed May 25, 2011 5:48 am

I'm sure there must be people who get all the daily untimed puzzles. I get them all some days, and I'm not the brightest light on the porch. In any case, that's all the more reason to prevent stuffing book puzzles. Doing well on timed puzzles should be worth more than hoarding book puzzles.

I have a better idea ... better than my proposal from yesterday. :idea: This one wouldn't require a new ranking. Count all the points toward the 7 Day - daily timed, daily untimed, and book puzzles. But put a limit on book puzzles - only one book puzzle per day. That would count all the various kinds of points, but would prevent book puzzles from overshadowing everything else.

Posted on: Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 am

rossiniman wrote:
I have a better idea ... better than my proposal from yesterday. :idea: This one wouldn't require a new ranking. Count all the points toward the 7 Day - daily timed, daily untimed, and book puzzles. But put a limit on book puzzles - only one book puzzle per day. That would count all the various kinds of points, but would prevent book puzzles from overshadowing everything else.

That is a good idea, thanks :-)

Posted on: Wed May 25, 2011 9:04 pm

rossiniman wrote:
I'm sure there must be people who get all the daily untimed puzzles. I get them all some days, and I'm not the brightest light on the porch. In any case, that's all the more reason to prevent stuffing book puzzles. Doing well on timed puzzles should be worth more than hoarding book puzzles.

Oh no, I'm quite sure there are too. My point is that you couldn't turn out enough points between the two; That is, since there are a finite number of timed points per day, logically one would have to be continually at the top of the timed to get up there, and since I'm consistently at the top of the timed, and I'm not within 200 points of first, it's not possible without book puzzles to get up to the top, since there aren't 200 points worth of puzzles a week that I'm not doing. Over the next week, though, I'm going to try doing every single puzzle and keep with my normal timed puzzle numbers, and I'll see where that gets me.

Posted on: Wed May 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Yes, I do all the daily untimed puzzles and can usually rack up somewhere in the order of 10-15 points on the timed puzzles, which does get me to the top or very close to the top... within top 3. (For sometime I was vying for 1st place with salt.) This is without book puzzles. starling, you a really good at the timed puzzles! But you probably are not at the top because you miss some of the untimed puzzles. It can be a lot of points. Some of the hardest puzzles are easily 12, 14, or 16 points. If there are two a day that you don't do plus one or two bonus puzzles less a week then that could be 200 points.

Anyway, it's usually pretty easy to see if someone is hoarding points using book puzzles because they have a ridiculous amount of points for the week. I've seen over 1000.

Posted on: Thu May 26, 2011 12:15 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
Yes, I do all the daily untimed puzzles and can usually rack up somewhere in the order of 10-15 points on the timed puzzles, which does get me to the top or very close to the top... within top 3. (For sometime I was vying for 1st place with salt.) This is without book puzzles. starling, you a really good at the timed puzzles! But you probably are not at the top because you miss some of the untimed puzzles. It can be a lot of points. Some of the hardest puzzles are easily 12, 14, or 16 points. If there are two a day that you don't do plus one or two bonus puzzles less a week then that could be 200 points.

Anyway, it's usually pretty easy to see if someone is hoarding points using book puzzles because they have a ridiculous amount of points for the week. I've seen over 1000.

Yeah, I hadn't noticed just how much some of the larger size puzzles get up to being worth; I do, however, want to see what I get to off a week of doing all the puzzles.

Posted on: Thu May 26, 2011 6:06 am

starling wrote:
Yeah, I hadn't noticed just how much some of the larger size puzzles get up to being worth; I do, however, want to see what I get to off a week of doing all the puzzles.

You'll probably be over 600.

Posted on: Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 pm

The point breakdown for a 7-day period without book puzzles is something like this:
Untimed puzzles... MAX 419 points
Bonus puzzles... MAX 50-60 points
Timed puzzles... MAX 210 points

Max total... 689 points

Posted on: Fri May 27, 2011 6:17 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
The point breakdown for a 7-day period without book puzzles is something like this:
Untimed puzzles... MAX 419 points
Bonus puzzles... MAX 50-60 points
Timed puzzles... MAX 210 points

Max total... 689 points

Right, but I'm only averaging around... Probably 24/day, so 168 a week, which is the highest I think anyone is getting. My issue is that I only get around 150 or so of those Untimed points, which puts me around 325 with bonus puzzles.

Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next