View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
 Any suggestions? 

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:17 am

Post Re: Any suggestions?
slevine7 wrote:
For the 12 x 12, why not list more than just the first solver, like maybe the first 10 solvers.

Really nice idea, thanks.

I'm thinking of showing the first solver, but then when you "hover" over the solver name,
a list appears with the first 5 or so.

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:47 pm

slevine7 wrote:
For the 12 x 12, why not list more than just the first solver, like maybe the first 10 solvers.

Ok, for the puzzles that list the first solver there's now a list of the first 5 solvers.
The list should appear when you hover with the mouse cursor over the "first solver" area.
This was difficult to get working in IE (as usual..), do let me know if you see odd behaviour.

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:12 pm

The time after the name is for the time of day (not length of time) the puzzle was solved as in "00:18:34" means 12:18am, right?

Posted on: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:41 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
The time after the name is for the time of day (not length of time) the puzzle was solved as in "00:18:34" means 12:18am, right?

Yes, it's time of day. I can't reliably measure the time taken on the "regular" puzzles.

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:54 am

pnm wrote:
Yes, it's time of day. I can't reliably measure the time taken on the "regular" puzzles.

Seeing as how you could get the puzzle without logging in, solve it offline at your leisure, and then log in and quickly enter the solution it's kind of pointless.

Of course at some point somebody's going to write a puzzle solving program and blow away all the human times anyway.

And the first solved by list certainly gives us people in the Americas an advantage since the puzzles show up at a convenient time in the afternoon or evening instead of the middle of the night.

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:06 am

mparisi wrote:
And the first solved by list certainly gives us people in the Americas an advantage since the puzzles show up at a convenient time in the afternoon or evening instead of the middle of the night.

I don't really see the point of including the first 5 people who completed the puzzle because as mparisi stated, it gives people in Americas more of an advantage of being on this list. Actually, it was already an advantage for Americas when it said who finished first because of the time. As for me, I'm usually busy until later. By the time I get on, at least 8 people have solved the hardest puzzles, usually many more than 8. Just saying, but really I don't care that much as you don't get points for finishing first.

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:44 am

mparisi wrote:
Seeing as how you could get the puzzle without logging in, solve it offline at your leisure, and then log in and quickly enter the solution it's kind of pointless.

Of course at some point somebody's going to write a puzzle solving program and blow away all the human times anyway.

Yes, for all these reasons you don't get points for being the first, 2nd, etc. solver.

Automatic solvers have been around, I've had to disable a few accounts already (4 or so) because of this..

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:46 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
I don't really see the point of including the first 5 people who completed the puzzle because as mparisi stated, it gives people in Americas more of an advantage of being on this list. Actually, it was already an advantage for Americas when it said who finished first because of the time. As for me, I'm usually busy until later. By the time I get on, at least 8 people have solved the hardest puzzles, usually many more than 8. Just saying, but really I don't care that much as you don't get points for finishing first.

Exactly.

In the end, I simply liked the suggestion by "slevine7", and added the feature..

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Sense and sensibility. Thanks to mparisi and sneaklyfox. That’s right, in Europe I think we usually solve the calcudokus starting let’s say at 08:00 utc (in America and Asia it is a more convenient time), no additional points should be given for being the first solvers. However, several months ago, I suggested Patrick to include in the actually dissapeared “statistics” the best time in each category. I don’t think it’s very significant to give every day the first five or ten solvers, it it enough the first with the the time 00:18:36 (it must be assumed that the total time it took that day is, including printing solving and sending, 18 minutes and 36 seconds), the Patrick criteria here is OK. But a second line giving the best historical time is more interesting, for instance: “12x12 best time in history solveralias 00:07:25 June 30, 2011”, showing the “guiness record”. This could represent a challenge to europeans and motivate them at least a few nights even sleepy to wait for the calcudokus in order to try breaking the record.

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:17 pm

clm wrote:
showing the “guiness record”. This could represent a challenge to europeans and motivate them at least a few nights even sleepy to wait for the calcudokus in order to try breaking the record.

Thanks, good point.

FYI, the next thing on the "todo" list is limiting the number of book puzzle solutions
that can be submitted to one per day.

Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next