View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Any suggestions? 

Posted on: Sat May 14, 2011 4:21 pm

Post Re: Any suggestions?
rossiniman, this forum could probably serve as the "blog" for tips and hints from users.

Suggestion: New type of special puzzle where some boxes have only the number and no operation shown. The operation could be addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.

Posted on: Mon May 16, 2011 2:51 am

calcpnm wrote:
japcione wrote:
First, start page should be 4x4 easy or user to have the option to select desired start page.

Thanks, that's a good idea.

japcione wrote:
Second, have the ads pop up after puzzle is solved as they take a longer time to load page.

Yes, I'm already doing that with the timed puzzles. I'm not sure what to do with the
ads: they're on there to recoup some of the costs of running the site.

Any suggestions on where to put them instead are welcome.

Patrick

Patrick, I think the placement of the ads are fine. The excitement of solving the puzzles supersedes my curiosity of the ads. Only when I'm finished solving a puzzle am I interested in looking over to what's being advertised; not before.

Be grateful for all you have...Waste no time worrying about what you don't have...And always know that your glass is half full!

Posted on: Mon May 16, 2011 11:10 am

calcpnm wrote:
japcione wrote:
Do the puzzles have a unique identification number? If so, can it be displayed?

They do, and yes, will do.

Alright, there should be a unique number for each puzzle now at the bottom left.
Patrick

Posted on: Mon May 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Kudos, Patrick! ;)

Be grateful for all you have...Waste no time worrying about what you don't have...And always know that your glass is half full!

Posted on: Wed May 18, 2011 1:13 am

How about a link back to the puzzle page from the forum pages?

Also, how about an indication on the main page as to whether you've done the current bonus puzzle, like the links that turn green when you solve a regular puzzle.

Posted on: Wed May 18, 2011 4:35 am

I think it would be awesome if you could develop a Calcudoku maker. Users would be able to input their own number grid, click on the lines between squares to choose the size and shape of boxed areas, and choose the operation for each area. The Calcudoku maker would show the result of the boxed areas with the chosen operation and recreate the puzzle for other users to solve.

Posted on: Thu May 19, 2011 11:25 am

mparisi wrote:
How about a link back to the puzzle page from the forum pages?

Added now :)
mparisi wrote:
Also, how about an indication on the main page as to whether you've done the current bonus puzzle, like the links that turn green when you solve a regular puzzle.

Well spotted, and useful, thanks. I just made the change: "Bonus puzzle" is a link only when you haven't
solved the puzzle yet.

Patrick

Last edited by pnm on Thu May 19, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Thu May 19, 2011 11:26 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
I think it would be awesome if you could develop a Calcudoku maker. Users would be able to input their own number grid, click on the lines between squares to choose the size and shape of boxed areas, and choose the operation for each area. The Calcudoku maker would show the result of the boxed areas with the chosen operation and recreate the puzzle for other users to solve.

You're right, that would be very cool. That's quite a project though, it'll have to wait until I have some more spare time..
Patrick

Posted on: Tue May 24, 2011 4:00 am

I have a suggestion that would serve the beneficial social purpose of keeping yahoo’s like me off the top of the 7 Day ranking! Or at least give a more accurate picture of who the top solvers are, since I can say with certainty that I’m not one of those.

I would create a new list in the rankings for the most points in the last 7 days counting only points from the daily puzzles (including the 12x12s in that category) but excluding the book puzzles. Don’t get me wrong – I think the book puzzles are great; they have incredible variety and are a lot of fun. But counting them in the 7 Day ranking puts a very inaccurate spin on that ranking.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think anyone ever leads that category with just the daily puzzles. People, including yours truly, I’m sure stockpile a bunch of book puzzles then at an opportune time stuff the ballot box with a bunch of those. Yes, the book puzzles are available to everybody; but during any seven day stretch, various users have very different numbers of those still available to them. People who have been solving longer and have used up all or most of the book puzzles simply have no practical way of competing for the top of that ranking, even though they may be among the best solvers.

Before Patrick’s marketing department turns off my microphone, I understand (and support) the incentive to buy the book that the current system creates. It’s an excellent book – don’t tell Patrick I said this but it’s worth many times the price he’s charging! So I would not take away that incentive to buy the book; I would keep the current 7 Day ranking in place. But I would also add a “purer” 7 Day ranking which has each person’s total counting only points from the daily puzzles. That would be a true measure of who is solving the best. (And perhaps who’s playing hooky from their job by working on the puzzles endlessly. Hey, why are my ears burning??)

So even though that would leave me in the second tier staring up at the big kids, I think it would be a very good addition.

Posted on: Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 pm

rossiniman, I HAVE been at the top of the list without any book puzzles so it's not impossible. You just have to be really good at the normal puzzles and the timed puzzles. When I'm not at the top (or within top 3) it's either because people have used book puzzles to boost their point ranking or I've been tired of late and hence slower in the timed puzzles.

Edit: I count the timed puzzles as part of the "daily puzzles".

Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next