View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Any suggestions? 
Author Message
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:40 pm




Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm
Post Re: Any suggestions?
rossiniman wrote:
A fair system would put a limit on them - one per day, for example. If that had been in place, I'd be in the mid-500's, too. (Although I'd fall back pretty quickly I'm sure, since you speed demons could do book puzzles any time you want whereas I'm not even remotely close to scoring a point on the timed puzzles. But that would be a fair sytem.)

That's in place now, you can submit no more than one book puzzle solution each day.
Thanks again for the suggestion,
Patrick


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:34 pm




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 am
Post Re: Any suggestions?
pnm wrote:
That's in place now, you can submit no more than one book puzzle solution each day.


Oh nice... does that mean I can stay on top of the 7-day world ranking for a really long time? ;) (I'm still waiting for starling or other "speed demons" to also complete all the daily puzzles as I do.)


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:43 pm




Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm
Post Re: Any suggestions?
sneaklyfox wrote:
Oh nice... does that mean I can stay on top of the 7-day world ranking for a really long time? ;)

Yes, and after 1 year at number one you'll get a Gold Star :-)


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 pm




Posts: 422
Location: Canada
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 am
Post Re: Any suggestions?
Wonderful. :D

Another suggestion: Some people do the timed puzzles because they like the extra fun of doing some easier puzzles and not for points. In other words, someone who solves 4x4 puzzles with an average of 2 mins can hardly hope for points. But if most people are awarded just for completing the puzzles, more people would solve them. Also it would be nice if someone who finishes 4x4 in 40s could get more then someone who finishes in 2 mins.

How about leave the scoring for timed puzzles the same but also add
3 points if the total of three chances on 4x4 < 2 min
2 points if the total of three chances on 4x4 < 4 min
1 point for solving 4x4 all three times

Something similar for 5x5 and 6x6. These numbers can be tweaked but the idea is the same.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:13 pm




Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm
Post Re: Any suggestions?
sneaklyfox wrote:
Another suggestion: Some people do the timed puzzles because they like the extra fun of doing some easier puzzles and not for points. In other words, someone who solves 4x4 puzzles with an average of 2 mins can hardly hope for points.

Yes, thanks, I was thinking about giving more points for the timed puzzles. It is getting more and more difficult
to get into the top 8... :-|


Profile

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 pm




Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:15 pm
Post Re: Any suggestions?
I often print the larger puzzles. A new page opens for printing. I'm not sure if that is specific to Firefox. I've gotten caught a couple of times entering the solution in the 'print' page and not being able to find the submit button. I had to click 'back' and type the whole solution over again. Perhaps entering numbers in the print page should be disabled, or a message appears to go back to the main page in order to enter numbers into the puzzle.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 pm




Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm
Post Re: Any suggestions?
larryb33 wrote:
I often print the larger puzzles. A new page opens for printing. I'm not sure if that is specific to Firefox. I've gotten caught a couple of times entering the solution in the 'print' page and not being able to find the submit button. I had to click 'back' and type the whole solution over again. Perhaps entering numbers in the print page should be disabled, or a message appears to go back to the main page in order to enter numbers into the puzzle.

That's a good catch, thanks! I was sure I had this disabled for the print page, but I see
now that you can still enter numbers using the mouse (!)
Will fix..
Patrick
EDIT: this should be fixed now


Profile

Posted on: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:00 am




Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 1:46 pm
Post Re: Any suggestions?
calcpnm wrote:
Yes, thanks, I can add the solving time.
All is well, but please don't have it pop up and cover some of the squares of the puzzle. :?


Profile

Posted on: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:09 am




Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 am
Post Re: Any suggestions?
Another suggestion: Competition puzzle
A new big puzzle (> 6x6) every x hours, points like timed puzzles and maybe 1 point for everyone who solved the puzzle.

Time starts when puzzle is available.
Puzzle is available till next 'competition' puzzle appears.

For example every 4 hours a puzzle (random size).

And maybe a penalty time to prevent the same people come first.
1st solver = +30 seconds in next puzzles, 2nd +20sec, 3th +10sec.
Penalty time disappears after x hours or days.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:22 am




Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm
Post Re: Any suggestions?
zefiros wrote:
calcpnm wrote:
Yes, thanks, I can add the solving time.
All is well, but please don't have it pop up and cover some of the squares of the puzzle. :?

Ok, good point, will change that.


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.