View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Any suggestions? 

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Post Re: Any suggestions?
rossiniman wrote:
A fair system would put a limit on them - one per day, for example. If that had been in place, I'd be in the mid-500's, too. (Although I'd fall back pretty quickly I'm sure, since you speed demons could do book puzzles any time you want whereas I'm not even remotely close to scoring a point on the timed puzzles. But that would be a fair sytem.)

That's in place now, you can submit no more than one book puzzle solution each day.
Thanks again for the suggestion,
Patrick

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:34 pm

pnm wrote:
That's in place now, you can submit no more than one book puzzle solution each day.

Oh nice... does that mean I can stay on top of the 7-day world ranking for a really long time? ;) (I'm still waiting for starling or other "speed demons" to also complete all the daily puzzles as I do.)

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:43 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Oh nice... does that mean I can stay on top of the 7-day world ranking for a really long time? ;)

Yes, and after 1 year at number one you'll get a Gold Star :-)

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Wonderful. :D

Another suggestion: Some people do the timed puzzles because they like the extra fun of doing some easier puzzles and not for points. In other words, someone who solves 4x4 puzzles with an average of 2 mins can hardly hope for points. But if most people are awarded just for completing the puzzles, more people would solve them. Also it would be nice if someone who finishes 4x4 in 40s could get more then someone who finishes in 2 mins.

How about leave the scoring for timed puzzles the same but also add
3 points if the total of three chances on 4x4 < 2 min
2 points if the total of three chances on 4x4 < 4 min
1 point for solving 4x4 all three times

Something similar for 5x5 and 6x6. These numbers can be tweaked but the idea is the same.

Posted on: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:13 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Another suggestion: Some people do the timed puzzles because they like the extra fun of doing some easier puzzles and not for points. In other words, someone who solves 4x4 puzzles with an average of 2 mins can hardly hope for points.

Yes, thanks, I was thinking about giving more points for the timed puzzles. It is getting more and more difficult
to get into the top 8... :-|

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:35 am

I often print the larger puzzles. A new page opens for printing. I'm not sure if that is specific to Firefox. I've gotten caught a couple of times entering the solution in the 'print' page and not being able to find the submit button. I had to click 'back' and type the whole solution over again. Perhaps entering numbers in the print page should be disabled, or a message appears to go back to the main page in order to enter numbers into the puzzle.

Posted on: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:49 am

larryb33 wrote:
I often print the larger puzzles. A new page opens for printing. I'm not sure if that is specific to Firefox. I've gotten caught a couple of times entering the solution in the 'print' page and not being able to find the submit button. I had to click 'back' and type the whole solution over again. Perhaps entering numbers in the print page should be disabled, or a message appears to go back to the main page in order to enter numbers into the puzzle.

That's a good catch, thanks! I was sure I had this disabled for the print page, but I see
now that you can still enter numbers using the mouse (!)
Will fix..
Patrick
EDIT: this should be fixed now

Posted on: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:00 pm

calcpnm wrote:
Yes, thanks, I can add the solving time.
All is well, but please don't have it pop up and cover some of the squares of the puzzle. :?

Posted on: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Another suggestion: Competition puzzle
A new big puzzle (> 6x6) every x hours, points like timed puzzles and maybe 1 point for everyone who solved the puzzle.

Time starts when puzzle is available.
Puzzle is available till next 'competition' puzzle appears.

For example every 4 hours a puzzle (random size).

And maybe a penalty time to prevent the same people come first.
1st solver = +30 seconds in next puzzles, 2nd +20sec, 3th +10sec.
Penalty time disappears after x hours or days.

Posted on: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:22 pm

zefiros wrote:
calcpnm wrote:
Yes, thanks, I can add the solving time.
All is well, but please don't have it pop up and cover some of the squares of the puzzle. :?

Ok, good point, will change that.

Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next