View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 #1 IN THE WORLD 

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 2:37 am

Post Re: #1 IN THE WORLD
btw I can catch clm in 338 days [biggrin] , and have no chance of ever catching sneaklyfox [crying]

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 3:35 am

pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
Speaking of ranking, how does Jackie and sagearrow seem to always get so many more regular points than anyone else? (508 instead of 468?) Also, it's such a coincidence that they seem always the same in everything.

I'll fix this soon.
I find the people who cheat and lie about it the worst kind.
Most people, when I write to them asking if they're using a solver (or any other tricks) admit to it,
and say they enjoyed the programming challenge.

Some however keep spinning stories :-(

Patrick

Am I to understand from the fact that Jackie and sagearrow have disappeared from the rankings list that the mother/son thing was just a story? And had it been determined how they appeared to have more points? Was it script error or something else?

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 3:59 am

picklepep wrote:
btw I can catch clm in 338 days [biggrin] , and have no chance of ever catching sneaklyfox [crying]

According to your equation, you do have a chance since (40686-38211)/(81-76)=495 days. But of course, it's really dependent on book puzzles and there's a finite number of those...

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 5:13 am

Re: #1 IN THE WORLD
sneaklyfox wrote:
picklepep wrote:

According to your equation, you do have a chance since (40686-38211)/(81-76)=495 days. But of course, it's really dependent on book puzzles and there's a finite number of those...

[thumbsup] I admit that there are problems with it... tho I still have about 900 pts worth of bk points to catch up to you with

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 8:32 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
Speaking of ranking, how does Jackie and sagearrow seem to always get so many more regular points than anyone else? (508 instead of 468?)

I'll fix this soon.
I find the people who cheat and lie about it the worst kind.
Most people, when I write to them asking if they're using a solver (or any other tricks) admit to it,
and say they enjoyed the programming challenge.

Some however keep spinning stories :-(

Patrick

Am I to understand from the fact that Jackie and sagearrow have disappeared from the rankings list that the mother/son thing was just a story? And had it been determined how they appeared to have more points? Was it script error or something else?

Patrick mentioned a while ago that you could exploit a loophole to acquire extra bonus puzzles - and, if I remember correctly, that he had fixed it. Jackie and sagearrow always did/do just the regular puzzles, no timed, no books. And they always seemed to have some multiple of 10 points over the maximum normally attainable. They would have 498, 508 or 518 while everyone else who completed all the puzzles in a week would have 458 or 468 (or possibly 478 if they had a ton of timed or book points thrown into the mix). So my guess is that the exploit is still available, or that they discovered a second one.

Patrick, I don't image you like being the heavy and wiping out peoples rankings. But it is very much appreciated by the people who are playing 'the right way'. Now if you could just find a way to slow down the three fastest time puzzlers I thing everything will be in balance again. [tongue]

In related news, I just jumped from 49th to 47th in the world. I don't know about everyone else's calculations, but if I keep up that pace _I'll_ be #1 in 23-and-a-half days. You have all been given notice. jk

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 8:46 am

I too am more than pleased with my progress as I was stuck in 16th for the longest time and suddenly have been vaulted to 14th and am now closing on 13th.......my goal is to stay in the top 20.......as I have no doubt that there are more "speedsters" that will catch me and surpass me.......but I do want to thank sneaklyfox for her "detective work" and for Patrick who acted upon her discoveries.............Ken [thumbsup]

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 am

picklepep wrote:

I will be very please in having you besides me next April, 2013 (if the world continues after 2012 ... [biggrin] [biggrin]). Perhaps other good sprinters can join us, then we can have a break, leave the bicycles, have a coffee, rest a little and discuss how can we catch mparisi [thumbsup]. For the moment, let's enjoy the landscape.

btw, better no ... , catching mparisi is a great responsibility, was it Bronstein? (after playing against Smyslov in a worldwide chess championship) who when asked why, in the last game, when he had the clear possibility of gaining the game and being champion he did "even" (so Smyslov kept the title), he answered: "I was thinking a while and arrived at the conclusion that one is a champion for a short period of time and an ex-champion the rest of your life". Well, anyway, this is not the case with mparisi. [biggrin]

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 2:00 pm

picklepep wrote:

I still have about 900 pts worth of bk points to catch up to you with

That is if you are able to do ALL the puzzles. I am speaking from my own experience, as I was unable to do 2 or 3 single op modulo puzzles (and gave up on them...) and the last few of the patterned large calcudokus, which I intend to try again some day [confused] .

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 2:12 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:

Yes, removed from the rankings because of too many tricks.
I don't know if the mother/son thing is a story.

I do know that it wasn't a script error, but that they found a way to submit each other's bonus puzzles
(if you know a bit about web programming this was a fairly easy hack).

Patrick

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 2:15 pm

jaek wrote:
So my guess is that the exploit is still available, or that they discovered a second one.

Second one, see above..
jaek wrote:
Patrick, I don't image you like being the heavy and wiping out peoples rankings. But it is very much appreciated by the people who are playing 'the right way'

Their points are still there, they can still solve puzzles (I'm assuming with a program, day after day after day),
but they're no longer in the rankings.
jaek wrote:
In related news, I just jumped from 49th to 47th in the world. I don't know about everyone else's calculations, but if I keep up that pace _I'll_ be #1 in 23-and-a-half days. You have all been given notice. jk

:-)

Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next