View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 #2 IN THE WORLD 

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Post Re: #2 IN THE WORLD
rickt wrote:
WOW! According to the rankings S-Fox has 536 " regular" points, next highest person has 468. How is that possible? On Steroids???

The problem looks related with some strange bug in the program, certainly the regular points from monday to sunday sum 418 points; then, considering, i.e., 7 bonus puzzles, one per day, that makes 488 and with that double count in the 12x12's (depending, as commented in the forum, on the day of the week they are sent) that would represent 504, so to arrive to 536 "regular" you need another 32 points, of the type "bonus", that is, around 333 additional points during the week, from books, timed, extra, etc.; it clearly looks "impossible", since in fact to obtain the mentioned 7 bonus points during a week you must increase your absolute total in at least 777 points (though including the other bonus). I am also curious, let's wait the Patrick's comments.

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:20 pm

rickt wrote:
WOW! According to the rankings S-Fox has 536 " regular" points, next highest person has 468. How is that possible? On Steroids???

This was a problem with the script that updates the weekly totals:
it was still running in a "test mode" last night, and as a result was
running too slowly (shouldn't matter, but it does :-( )

sneaklyfox's regular total should have been 450 (corrected now)

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Glad, Clm, for your first place in the world a situation you deserve, although it´s an ephemeral situation. I never saw you in the first place before! Congratulations!

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:08 pm

pnm wrote:
rickt wrote:

This was a problem with the script that updates the weekly totals:
it was still running in a "test mode" last night, and as a result was
running too slowly (shouldn't matter, but it does :-( )

sneaklyfox's regular total should have been 450 (corrected now)

Patrick

I didn't even know you were talking about me because I thought there is another "sfox" while I'm "sneaklyfox". [blink] I didn't even know about how many regular points I had. But I know things still need to be worked out. I wasn't sure because the day before I did look and had some unusual number of regular points. Hopefully with everyone's constant checking Patrick can get it all sorted out.

And I'm quite positive that I'm not on steroids, only postpartum vitamins! [cool]

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
I wasn't sure because the day before I did look and had some unusual number of regular points. Hopefully with everyone's constant checking Patrick can get it all sorted out.

The truth is that I'm all just messing with your minds Image

Last edited by pnm on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:15 pm

pnm wrote:
The truth is that I'm all just messing with your minds Image

Heh... is there a subscribe option where you won't mess with our minds if we pay you enough? I'd rather not have to always be checking that everyone's point totals are what they're supposed to be. [razz]

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:19 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Heh... is there a subscribe option where you won't mess with our minds if we pay you enough? I'd rather not have to always be checking that everyone's point totals are what they're supposed to be. [razz]

Good idea! Pay up, or points totals will vary randomly and at arbitrary moments [scared]

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:36 pm

To answer a couple of questions put in this thread (I left school long ago, so I do not regularly visit the forum - no time):
- I wish she was getting better grades at school. She may be #1 in the world sometimes at this calcudoku.org, but not even near #1 in her class.
- She didn't get a solver for her birthday. Besides, that was back in October. But she solves all puzzles rather fast, so it doesn't take her that much time as it would take ordinary people like her father.
- Why she is suddenly scoring so many points? A clue: I'm away from home for two weeks on foreign trips, with awkward internet access most of the time, and she set her mind on passing me in the overall points listing for 'World'. Now, with the subscription coming into effect, she has an extra advantage, as I don't trust to enter my credit card details on the Internet in any of the countries I'm visiting.
- About her typing speed: she can type 'normal texts' at a speed of 350+ strokes/minute with only a few typos. From that point of view, solving the 4x4 in slightly more than 4 seconds isn't that fast.

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:47 pm

jomapil wrote:
Glad, Clm, for your first place in the world a situation you deserve, although it´s an ephemeral situation. I never saw you in the first place before! Congratulations!

Thank you, jomapil, but there is not a big merit on that, the important thing is to participate, it is very temporary and there are several puzzlers much better than me. Anyway I have been in the first place in the "7-day" ranking before (according with the little record I have [biggrin]), 17 consecutive days between the Sep 12 and the Sep 28, 2010, 13 consecutive days between the Oct 08 and the Oct 20, 2010, one single day on Oct 28, 2010 (we had not the pleasure of having you at that time as a member of the "club"); later I was in the first place the Feb 08 and Feb 10, 2011 and 16 different days in the period between the Sep 20 and Oct 12, 2011 (this was the last date before this week, 8 months ago [crying]) (you do not remember this because you joined us 261 days ago, around the Sep 18, 2011, right?).

Posted on: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:07 pm

ark5731 wrote:
To answer a couple of questions put in this thread (I left school long ago, so I do not regularly visit the forum - no time):
- I wish she was getting better grades at school. She may be #1 in the world sometimes at this calcudoku.org, but not even near #1 in her class.
- She didn't get a solver for her birthday. Besides, that was back in October. But she solves all puzzles rather fast, so it doesn't take her that much time as it would take ordinary people like her father.
- Why she is suddenly scoring so many points? A clue: I'm away from home for two weeks on foreign trips, with awkward internet access most of the time, and she set her mind on passing me in the overall points listing for 'World'. Now, with the subscription coming into effect, she has an extra advantage, as I don't trust to enter my credit card details on the Internet in any of the countries I'm visiting.
- About her typing speed: she can type 'normal texts' at a speed of 350+ strokes/minute with only a few typos. From that point of view, solving the 4x4 in slightly more than 4 seconds isn't that fast.

Oooh! I had no clue sheldolina's dad is among us until now!

Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next