View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Competitive Calcudoku 

Posted on: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Post Competitive Calcudoku
Patrick,
I remember you once sugested you were thinking of implementing the posibility of challenging one another to some kind of a calcudoku duel. Going along that path, I have a few sugestions to give this game a more competitive edge.

1. Give one point to the person who first solves one puzzle (let's say from 8x8 and above).

2. Give one point (or more...) to the person who gets the first star of the day.

This first two sugestions clearly put the americans in advantage, as in Europe the new puzzles appear at midnight (or even 1 am in my case) but still... They also raise the question of spotting the people who use solvers but we count on the guys here being fair play. Or else we'll unleash our detective skills on them [angry]

3. (and the most hard to implement) I'm thinking there can be sort of a bonus puzzle which is displayed only at a certain time of the day and the first 3 / 5 or 10 people who solve it get something (points?) in return. This puzzle will have to appear every day at another hour (let's say mondays at noon GMT, tuesdays at 3pm GMT, wednesdays at 6pm GMT and so on) so that every continent is advantaged / disadvantaged equally during one week.

Opinions, anyone?

PS I don't know the exact meaning of the word "guys" in popular culture, but I hope it covers both boys and girls, because that's what I meant [thumbsup]

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 am

Post Re: Competitive Calcudoku
danvijan wrote:
PS I don't know the exact meaning of the word "guys" in popular culture, but I hope it covers both boys and girls, because that's what I meant [thumbsup]

I'm not replying to the entire post because I have other things I want to do before bed...
But yes, "guys" covers both boys and girls alike (or men and women). Even in a group of only women, I might say, "Hey guys..." though I really could say, "Hey girls..." Some people do that but I generally don't.

Posted on: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:38 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
danvijan wrote:

I'm not replying to the entire post because I have other things I want to do before bed...
But yes, "guys" covers both boys and girls alike (or men and women). Even in a group of only women, I might say, "Hey guys..." though I really could say, "Hey girls..." Some people do that but I generally don't.

I was in Ireland a year ago and was amused to hear 'lads' used for a group of any gender or age. It was odd to my ear, but shouldn't be any stranger than 'guys'.

Posted on: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm

danvijan wrote:
1. Give one point to the person who first solves one puzzle (let's say from 8x8 and above).

At some point in the past there was a line "first solved by ..." on the main page.
But unfortunately a number of people started using solvers (pretty straight-forward
for the "plain" puzzles) to get their name there, so I decided to remove it again.
danvijan wrote:
3. (and the most hard to implement) I'm thinking there can be sort of a bonus puzzle which is displayed only at a certain time of the day and the first 3 / 5 or 10 people who solve it get something (points?) in return. This puzzle will have to appear every day at another hour (let's say mondays at noon GMT, tuesdays at 3pm GMT, wednesdays at 6pm GMT and so on) so that every continent is advantaged / disadvantaged equally during one week

So that essentially is having different release times for certain puzzles.

Doing any kind of "first solver" bonus would have the same problem though.

Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]