View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Points limit 

Posted on: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 am

Post Re: Points limit
Seems to me it will have at least two impacts.

1. It will be a little more convenient for everyone to get the maximum number of regular points. The sprinters can skip a couple of the larger puzzles, which they don't enjoy as much. We distance runners can skip the smaller puzzles, which we don't enjoy as much.

2. It will increase the advantage the sprinters already have in the rankings. Timed points remain the only ones where the top scorers can 'play defense' - by doing well, they deny points to others. The distance runners can't do that with daily points or any other category; those points are available to everyone no matter how quickly, scientifically, or artistically any of us solve them. Now the timed points will be a larger percentage of the total available. The sprinters' advantage will therefore be underlined, emphasized.

Posted on: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:16 am

rossiniman wrote:
Now the timed points will be a larger percentage of the total available. The sprinters' advantage will therefore be underlined, emphasized.

Ah, good point.
Maybe that should be adjusted a bit.

Posted on: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:04 pm

pnm wrote:
rossiniman wrote:
Now the timed points will be a larger percentage of the total available. The sprinters' advantage will therefore be underlined, emphasized.

Ah, good point.
Maybe that should be adjusted a bit.

rossiniman brings up an excellent point. Perhaps the timed points could be adjusted such that a few bonus points are awarded to those who score a personal best time? I know this was debated many months ago when sneaklyfox (and perhaps others) pointed out the frustration of getting a time that was fantastically good for them, but still being slower than other players.

In this way, the slower players (really, everyone that isn't consistently in the top 5) would have a chance to earn more than 1 or 2 points for a timed puzzle. Last night I scored a personal best in the 4x4, and I might squeak 2 points out of it. But I also had my 2nd best time in the 5x5 (out of 876 solved puzzles of that size) and will almost certainly still only get 1 point.

IIRC, someone in the previous thread worried that people (new players, I think) might try to game the system by starting out very slowly on purpose and just managing to beat their score by a little bit every day. I think that would be somewhat unlikely and very hard to manage. But still, as a safeguard, perhaps the "bonus" points would kick in only after 100 completed timed puzzles of a given size?

And maybe the bonus could increase with the number of timed puzzles completed, so that someone getting a personal best after 800 games would earn more points than a personal best after 500 games.

This scenario would benefit those who are consistently in the top 5 as well as the rest of us, and wouldn't take away anything from them.

Posted on: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:18 pm

pharosian wrote:
And maybe the bonus could increase with the number of timed puzzles completed, so that someone getting a personal best after 800 games would earn more points than a personal best after 500 games.

Good ideas pharosian, thanks :-)

Posted on: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:21 pm

Daily limit - fine with me. I suppose I could wait until tomorrow to see - assuming I reach the limit tomorrow:) - Will a star be awarded for reaching the limit or will it remain only for completing all regulars?

Posted on: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm

opacitaviola wrote:
Daily limit - fine with me. I suppose I could wait until tomorrow to see - assuming I reach the limit tomorrow:) - Will a star be awarded for reaching the limit or will it remain only for completing all regulars?

It will still be only for completing all regulars.

Posted on: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:14 pm

pnm wrote:
opacitaviola wrote:

This a very good idea, an extra "prize", motivating the calcudokers to go beyond the limit, in this context the gold star should include the completion of the three "killer's".
Though perhaps you could create a "silver star" for those who reach the daily limit, and the previously mentioned "diamond" when the puzzler has obtained 7 consecutive gold stars.
Even a "permanent" (like the "cup in property") diamond or a similar "medal" could be given after some amount, 200/250/300? ... , gold stars :-).

Posted on: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 pm

pnm wrote:
opacitaviola wrote:

Alas. I did so enjoy that star.

Posted on: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:14 pm

opacitaviola wrote:

?
What I wrote means that nothing will change, so you can still get the star if you want it, no?

Posted on: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 pm

pnm wrote:
opacitaviola wrote:

?
What I wrote means that nothing will change, so you can still get the star if you want it, no?

Sorry Patrick, I did not mean to confuse.
I meant I will have less incentive, especially being a plodder, to invest that extra hour battling for a star, given I will be maxed out with points. I suppose either way, go for it or not, might be a state of mind, but for me, it is also a state of time use.
I am not complaining. I have/had personal objectives - stars, ranking, Canada & world. Those will continue.

Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next