View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Points limit 

Posted on: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Post Points limit
Patrick must quickly implement his idea of points limit. If the ranking is ABOUT THE LAST SEVEN DAYS why anyone can submit all extra puzzles of a month? It has no logic! The rule can be to limit the number maximum of extra points to 7 x 8 = 56.
Or then to begin to extend the rankings to the last 30 days!
The actual rules distort the meaning of " the last seven days ".

But Pharosian and Rickt don't be so upset. This is a suggestion and a simple opinion!

Last edited by jomapil on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Post Re: Points limit
Extra puzzles are only available to paid subscribers. The rules that were presented state that extra puzzles can be submitted up to one month after they are presented. Subscriptions were paid based on the rules stated at the time they were implemented (June 1 2012). If the rules were to be changed, then should refunds be offered based on your evaluation that they are "unfair"?

Posted on: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 pm

jomapil, I don't understand why you're so upset about people being able to do more than 7 extra puzzles in a week. This was discussed in another thread recently where you raised the same issue, and it was pointed out that the All Time rankings will always give an accurate picture of who's done what.

If I were just now subscribing, I'd want to do as many of the extra puzzles from the past month as I could before they rolled off the calendar. Newcomers are also likely to be very enthusiastic and want to do lots of puzzles, and a subscription makes this possible. (One can do previous regular puzzles, too, but no points would be awarded.)

I agree that a 30-day average would tend to even things out, but I can't agree that "Patrick must quickly implement his idea of points limit."

Please explain why the current implementation bothers you so much. [confused]

Posted on: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:44 pm

pharosian wrote:
Please explain why the current implementation bothers you so much.

The classification is based on a 7 days basis. So it's not logic to include more than seven puzzles. It's only this! To include more than those puzzles it must alter the period of the analysis.

pharosian wrote:
it was pointed out that the All Time rankings will always give an accurate picture

All time rankings is a " period " very great. People began to solve calcudokus at different times and a month of unavailability ( illness, holidays, other works to realize ) introduce a discontinuity that accompanies all the life and can't be eliminated. So maybe a period of 30 days would be ideal.

But wait to see if other colleagues have other suggestions.

Last edited by jomapil on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Quite frankly, I enjoy this new feature as it lends more strategy to those seeking top 7 day rankings...

Posted on: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 pm

In my case, I more or less lost all interest in the rankings since the recent changes. There are so many distortions in the system (timed, books, subscriber) that someone who doesn't even have the time to do all normal puzzles on daily basis is lost in any case. (Note: Right now I can do them all - even if not today - because of the more quiet holiday period, but in general I have a busy life outside this site, which is why I'm not subscribing in the first place.)

Posted on: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:59 pm

But Mce, those distortions are necessary. Patrick has much work and many expenses with the maintenance of the site. We must understand this as a way to compensate minimally those costs within the possibilities of each one. Even if anyone doesn't use the additional puzzles.

Posted on: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:24 am

I fully understand that Patrick needs a way to fund the site. But that does not have to mean that the rankings should be distorted to a point that they become meaningless (hence exactly the idea of the points limit, but I can imagine other solutions for the same problem).

All I'm saying "at site level" is that the ranking system should co-evolve with the site content/concept. And all I'm saying "at personal level" is that I'm stopped caring. Up to Patrick to judge whether that's an issue to address (if there's more like me out there) or not (if we're just exceptions).

Posted on: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:12 am

I am a subscriber, but recently bought a "new toy" and am just having way too much fun with it to bother doing all the puzzles (or even attempting the more difficult ones)......but have to admit, interest was starting to diminish even before recent purchase......do, however like the "killers" being posted each day, now, and would like to see them incorporated in to the site and available to all (non subsriber and subscriber) [thumbsup]

Posted on: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:17 am

mce wrote:
I fully understand that Patrick needs a way to fund the site. But that does not have to mean that the rankings should be distorted to a point that they become meaningless (hence exactly the idea of the points limit, but I can imagine other solutions for the same problem).

All I'm saying "at site level" is that the ranking system should co-evolve with the site content/concept. And all I'm saying "at personal level" is that I'm stopped caring. Up to Patrick to judge whether that's an issue to address (if there's more like me out there) or not (if we're just exceptions).

I understand this point, and I think that you are in most parts right. In my mind I keep track of how I rank against my closest competitors, but I often find that the official rankings do not reflect where I should be in the rankings.

That being said... with the new information(the breaking up of points via the hover function) I can figure out the "real" rankings as I see them, and therefore keep track of those who I feel are becoming stronger in the areas that are my province.

Though not completely satisfied with the ranking system, I understand that this is just a side project of Patrick's. I am grateful that he has put so much time and effort into this site.

Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next