View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Points limit 

Posted on: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:15 am

Post Re: Points limit
pharosian wrote:

Let's not have limits here. Let's just have fun and enjoy this fantastic site Patrick has created and not whine about having too much of a good thing. :-)

[thumbsup], good points, particularly myself I prefer no limits, but I understand the Patrick's concern about the "time" required, though as you well say, everyone knows how much dedication can spend everyday, we are free to do more or less puzzles. And I also believe that the fun is more important than the competition.

I do not think there is another site in the whole www with better numeric puzzles or with so many features (if someone knows one pse tell me!). And I thank Patrick for all this and for all fun had in the last two years, the site is mainly free (I am sure all subscribers are first of all convinced of the need of supporting the site, apart of the possibility of doing more puzzles or getting more points). The recent Patrick's attempt to limit the points to 42, with all secondary problems appeared has not been a success, the "mistake" is human, one or many, but this does not diminish a bit the merit of Patrick for constantly improving the site. When giving opinions here in the Forum we help a little bit but we also probably create additional confussion to Patrick when he tries to satisfy everybody. I apologize on my part.

Posted on: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 pm

In reply to some things pharosian said a few posts ago...

I didn't see anyone complaining when the points limit idea was suggested (note that it was first mentioned by Patrick himself as far as I know). It seemed that everyone liked the idea as no one raised an objection. In one sense it is not just a matter of time and skill. Certainly if we need to, we can make the time (less time if one is more skilled), but perhaps it was becoming a bit of a chore for some people instead of purely fun. The limit idea was *supposed* to satisfy everybody. If you were on the site for fun, you could keep having your fun by doing all the puzzles or any puzzles you wanted. If you were also here for the points race and didn't want to do as much, the limit would make it that much easier for everyone equally. I'm sure Patrick didn't suggest it for selfish reasons as it benefits everybody. And it's even more time consuming now with three more killer sudokus to do as well.

To close up on some of my earlier posts regarding the slight oversight (which actually allowed more than 42 points maximum)...

Sorry, Patrick, for being kind of annoyed and upset. An extra reason why I was more upset at this particular time was that I had saved up a couple weeks' worth of extra puzzles to supposedly get to the top and stay there for... oh, I don't know... maybe a few weeks. I used them all up and somehow found that I was still short by a lot and it stayed like that and got worse so it just felt like they were all wasted. *Sigh*... but that is ok. Guess I just have to be patient some more weeks. Whatever. Not going to fret anymore.

Reply to something clm mentioned...

I guess one reason why I subscribed was not so much that I felt the site needed support(?) but that I felt Patrick had put in a lot of work for a great site and unlike any other site I have ever been on, he is so active in the community and lets us voice our opinions and he listens to suggestions and constantly tries to improve things. Simply put: He deserves being subscribed to. [biggrin]

Posted on: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
In reply to some things pharosian said a few posts ago...

I didn't see anyone complaining when the points limit idea was suggested (note that it was first mentioned by Patrick himself as far as I know). It seemed that everyone liked the idea as no one raised an objection.

It's true that I didn't jump in with my objections when I first saw the posts about a points limit. But it wasn't because I liked the idea. I try not to be a "naysayer" and figured I'd wait and see... give it some thought and see what others had to say. I also wasn't visiting the forum on a daily basis, and sometimes when a topic is a few days old, I feel funny joining the discussion.

I have the same feelings that clm mentioned in his post where he apologized for contributing to the confusion Patrick must feel in trying to satisfy everyone. While I feel that everyone has the right to make suggestions -- some really neat features have emerged that way -- I also stand by my opinion that points limits don't belong on a competitive site. And I think the members here have proven they're very competitive. [flapper]

Quote:
... I felt Patrick had put in a lot of work for a great site and unlike any other site I have ever been on, he is so active in the community and lets us voice our opinions and he listens to suggestions and constantly tries to improve things. Simply put: He deserves being subscribed to. [biggrin]

ABSOLUTELY! [thumbup]

Posted on: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm with pharosian. Those who want to compete with points shouldn't be limited. And those who don't want to compete shouldn't care either way. So leave things the way they were: unlimited.

Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9