View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:43 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Farewell! 

Posted on: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 am

Post Farewell!
To everyone here enjoying puzzles at calcudoku.org:

So I haven't really done much puzzling lately. After I stopped doing all the puzzles everyday it got much better for time. But even having to get on for 4x4, 5x5, 6x6 or timed puzzles wasn't really fun anymore for me. It somehow felt like another obligation... like I must do timed puzzles because I'm decently good at it and must get my name in the ranks. But really, I stopped caring. Things just aren't so fun when they feel obligatory. Anyway, I find there's a lot of other things I should do that I've been putting off. And I guess I switched to a different hobby. Calcudoku was fun while it lasted. It was also fun getting to know some of you.

starling, sheldolina: Keep breaking records on the timed puzzles. Glad to see the sub-4 barrier on 4x4 has been broken. Think you'll ever get sub-3???

picklepep, clm, rickt: I considered you my closest competition on the all-time rankings and 7-day rankings. It was fun to race up the list with you guys and compete from week to week.

mparisi: You have really got stamina, doing this for years. Hats off to you. I think once I got to where I am on the rankings, I realized it would take years of constant puzzling to ever beat you. Before I got here, it was fun to play because I could move up on the rankings I guess, but now I just wouldn't move forward by much anymore so it feels rather stagnant.

beaker: I really enjoyed our conversations about calcudoku, people, life, and everything. I enjoyed getting to know you. I wish you and your family the best... especially your daughter... and soon the new little one! Perhaps I'll check back sometime so I can congratulate you on your new grandpa status...

Patrick: Thanks very much for this great site. Keep up the great work you've done here. Sorry to have to leave. I don't really see myself coming back... but who knows. It's nothing you did or didn't do. I really think the site is awesome. Remember not to be too much of a pushover. [razz] If you ever do bring 4x4x4 puzzles on the site or some such stuff, send me an email or something because I'd like to try them. [biggrin]

Bye everyone! I'll miss you guys!

Posted on: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 am

Post Re: Farewell!
See ya sneaklyfox! I just logged in for the first time in three weeks myself, so I understand how things change. Life has a way of doing that. Glad I picked now so I could say goodbye!

Posted on: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks, sneaklyfox, sorry to see you go.

I think it's not a bad idea to take a break from the site every once in a while
(as long as you come back :-) )

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:04 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
... And I guess I switched to a different hobby. ... It was also fun getting to know some of you.
picklepep, clm, rickt: I considered you my closest competition on the all-time rankings and 7-day rankings. It was fun to race up the list with you guys and compete from week to week.
Bye everyone! I'll miss you guys!

It's sad to miss you (though this is only a game, a "hobby", a very low priority in life, one makes "virtual" friends), you have been always shining at the highest level, both in regular and timed puzzles, almost 2 years ... , undoubtedly we all will lose your very interesting opinions and points of view. But I am sure you will return some day (let's wait this site stays for a long time, if Patrick does not get tired [biggrin]).

In this type of puzzle, really, one competes with oneself, the rest is just a reference: Would I be able to solve this 7x7 subtractions only, this 8x8 mod function, this very difficult 9x9, what would happen with new functions?.

Thank you for your kindness and best wishes for all other important things ... and a happy new year btw [thumbsup] [thumbsup].

Posted on: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
mparisi: You have really got stamina, doing this for years. Hats off to you. I think once I got to where I am on the rankings, I realized it would take years of constant puzzling to ever beat you. Before I got here, it was fun to play because I could move up on the rankings I guess, but now I just wouldn't move forward by much anymore so it feels rather stagnant.

And here I thought you'd be the first person to catch me in about three years. I'll miss you.

Posted on: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 am

Bye-bye, Sneakly, best of wishes for you out there IRL!
Maybe I should take a cue from you and, if not outright abandon, then at least cut a lot back on the calcudokuing.
(I do suspect that I'm going to keep coming back for those 8x8 bitwise OR puzzles, though …)

Posted on: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 am

Bye, sneaklyfox! We'll miss you.

Posted on: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Did any one notice that sneaklyfox submitted 2 crossword puzzles, to the site in one of the posts, on Dec. 5/12 [confused]

Posted on: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:17 am

Yeah there was some post somewhere with a link to a crossword site.
http://www.14across.com
Just checking it out. Did you try them?

Posted on: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 pm

No...beyond my capabilities.....but, today I noticed that they were promoting Paniola Greens at the top of the puzzles which is where my wife and I plan to spend the 1st 2 weeks of December/2013

Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]