Calcudoku puzzle forum
http://www.calcudoku.org/forum/

"google chrome users are smartest...."
http://www.calcudoku.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=390
Page 1 of 2

Author:  titip1995  [ Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 pm ]
Post subject:  "google chrome users are smartest...."

"Google chrome users are smartest, then firefox users, then IE users"
That is the alternative name of the study of pnm (a.k.a patrick) about the navigator and the results of the calcudokers (?). I think that it is a joke in itself but many people may be frustrated by this sentence. Anyway i just want to tell that:
- the high scorers of this website are using google chrome... as seen on sheldona's and starling's videos...
- IE still have problems with the timed puzzle and that, then, a great part of this data is not exact (example: the average time of timed puzzle; knowing that if the browser was closed it was considered as leaved and then that the solving time would have been of 15' (a little time ago but this data is taken in this report) and that it drops the average solving time)

Please, don't think that i am raging about it (i'm a chrome user) but i think that words can be very hard sometimes... there were suci.... wait, that's not the topic... Anyway, Mr Min, please just take care of people who are .... hum... frustrated by those kinds of affirmations (outraged would have been overdone, right ?) and please just look closer to your graph and find some reasons about the results' differences and please, please don't do that kind of things again...

BTW: I am a frenchie then please do not care too much about syntax and word uses... [blush]

Author:  pnm  [ Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

titip1995 wrote:
- the high scorers of this website are using google chrome... as seen on sheldona's and starling's videos...

If I'm not mistaken. sheldolina at the time used Firefox. Also, the averages
are done by user, so both of them have very little influence.
titip1995 wrote:
- IE still have problems with the timed puzzle and that, then, a great part of this data is not exact (example: the average time of timed puzzle; knowing that if the browser was closed it was considered as leaved and then that the solving time would have been of 15' (a little time ago but this data is taken in this report) and that it drops the average solving time)

In that case, the puzzle was only counted as abandoned, and it was not
considered when computing the average solving time.
titip1995 wrote:
Please, don't think that i am raging about it (i'm a chrome user) but i think that words can be very hard sometimes... there were suci.... wait, that's not the topic... Anyway, Mr Min, please just take care of people who are .... hum... frustrated by those kinds of affirmations (outraged would have been overdone, right ?)

Please read up on the various online discussions from about a year ago. Also please
read the paper more carefully. I'm a bit annoyed I have to write about this still,
but your post is misinformed and mostly just plain rude ("please don't do that kind of things again", as if you're talking to a child).

Patrick (i.e. "Mr Min" in your trolling post)

Author:  titip1995  [ Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

in that case... i'm sorry about that.... incident. [blush]

Author:  starling  [ Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

pnm wrote:
If I'm not mistaken. sheldolina at the time used Firefox. Also, the averages
are done by user, so both of them have very little influence.
I think the study probably classified me as "No dedicated browser" or Firefox. I switched to dedicated Chrome about a month or so after it was published, having used Firefox about 75% of the time, but going about 20% and 5% by my own estimates on Safari and Opera respectively.

Sheldolina has always used Chrome, as far as I can remember.

I'm going to go back and look at the data to see what kind of impact I have, but I don't see it being any bigger than a 2 second swing in the mean for 6x6, which is what would happen if there were only 75ish people in the same set as me, and is also where the largest swing would occur.

Author:  sheldolina  [ Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

starling wrote:
pnm wrote:
If I'm not mistaken. sheldolina at the time used Firefox. Also, the averages
are done by user, so both of them have very little influence.

Sheldolina has always used Chrome, as far as I can remember.

Well, at the time of the study (and quite a while before and after that) I used Chrome, but since a few weeks I use Firefox mostly.

Author:  sneaklyfox  [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

I think the original sentence is misleading. I am using Firefox right now. If I start using Chrome, does that suddenly make my IQ higher? Or vice versa, if I start using IE, has my IQ suddenly dropped a few points?

Author:  pnm  [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

sneaklyfox wrote:
I think the original sentence is misleading. I am using Firefox right now. If I start using Chrome, does that suddenly make my IQ higher? Or vice versa, if I start using IE, has my IQ suddenly dropped a few points?

Yes, of course, Chrome makes you smarter [woot]

But then again, I don't use Chrome...

Is this what they call a paradox [confused]

Author:  beaker  [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

sneaklyfox wrote:
I think the original sentence is misleading. I am using Firefox right now. If I start using Chrome, does that suddenly make my IQ higher? Or vice versa, if I start using IE, has my IQ suddenly dropped a few points?



Sneaklyfox.......YOU'RE BACK [thumbsup]

Author:  sneaklyfox  [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
I think the original sentence is misleading. I am using Firefox right now. If I start using Chrome, does that suddenly make my IQ higher? Or vice versa, if I start using IE, has my IQ suddenly dropped a few points?

Yes, of course, Chrome makes you smarter [woot]

But then again, I don't use Chrome...

Is this what they call a paradox [confused]


Doesn't seem like a paradox. More like circular reasoning. If you were smart, you would use Chrome. But since you are not using Chrome that means you are not smart and so you would not be smart enough to start using Chrome.

@Beaker: I'm not really back. Just curious what you guys were up to. I came on the forum but didn't do any puzzles. [biggrin]

Author:  pnm  [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: "google chrome users are smartest...."

sneaklyfox wrote:
Doesn't seem like a paradox. More like circular reasoning. If you were smart, you would use Chrome. But since you are not using Chrome that means you are not smart and so you would not be smart enough to start using Chrome.

A key difference here is though that I'm the one who (supposedly) claimed that Chrome users are smarter [blink]

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/