View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Strange PayPal practices 

Posted on: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Post Strange PayPal practices
Today I wanted to subscribe again after a few months break from puzzling (have some time to spare again [smile]). What blocked me, however was, that on the payment page I had only two options: pay using your existing PayPal account or create a PayPal account. Now, if I switch the country to, for instance, Germany or UK, I have an option to make a single credit card payment without creating an account (but I wouldn't accept my card of course, because I declared a wrong country). And apparently ten months ago I did subscribe using one-time payment, without account creation. I'd like to subscribe again, but I don't want to create PayPal account - why am I forced to?

Posted on: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Post Re: Strange PayPal practices
jotempe wrote:
Today I wanted to subscribe again after a few months break from puzzling (have some time to spare again [smile]). What blocked me, however was, that on the payment page I had only two options: pay using your existing PayPal account or create a PayPal account. Now, if I switch the country to, for instance, Germany or UK, I have an option to make a single credit card payment without creating an account (but I wouldn't accept my card of course, because I declared a wrong country). And apparently ten months ago I did subscribe using one-time payment, without account creation. I'd like to subscribe again, but I don't want to create PayPal account - why am I forced to?

I'll look into it.

Is there another payment service you use/prefer?

(a while ago I looked at "moneybookers", now called "skrill")

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Anything that gives me an option to make one-time card payment without forcing a registration and account creation would be fine for me. With most internet vendors this is no problem - I have unfortunately no idea what service they are using...

PS: due to owning a Kindle I have an Amazon account - if it were possible for you to accept payments via Amazon it would be fine as well.

Posted on: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm

jotempe wrote:
Anything that gives me an option to make one-time card payment without forcing a registration and account creation would be fine for me. With most internet vendors this is no problem - I have unfortunately no idea what service they are using...

It seems that Skrill supports card payments without having to create an account, I'll see if I can integrate this easily into the site.

Edit: I signed up for a Skrill account, but it looks like quite a few steps before putting that in.

Note that in Europe you could also do a "SEPA" bank transfer, see the info at the bottom of:
http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/subscribe/en/eur

Posted on: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:20 am

Yep, have seen that, however banks here tend to charge for SEPA transfers dearly [cursing]

Posted on: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 am

jotempe wrote:
Yep, have seen that, however banks here tend to charge for SEPA transfers dearly [cursing]

Really?

I thought that these transfers should be free within Europe?

(at my bank (ABN AMRO) they are free, for example)

Posted on: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 am

Not here unfortunately. I'd have to pay about 2 to 2.5 euro for the transfer...

Posted on: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:17 am

jotempe wrote:
Not here unfortunately. I'd have to pay about 2 to 2.5 euro for the transfer...

At some point (but not yet) it does look like an internet currency is the way to go.

bitcoin, or that new "ripple" currency: instant payments across the whole world,
near zero transfer fees (!)

(I now have to pay a considerable fee for each transaction to Paypal)

For now, maybe adding "skrill" will help (also for people outside EU/US etc.)

Posted on: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks [drool]
Inside the country i use bank transfers all the time when shopping on the internet, there is a mechanism here that allows them to be almost as fast as card payments, with no cost to the sender, and also considerably cheaper than cards for the receiver. Unfortunately I know no bank in Poland that would offer foreign transfers free of charge...

Posted on: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:50 pm

jotempe wrote:
Thanks [drool]
Inside the country i use bank transfers all the time when shopping on the internet, there is a mechanism here that allows them to be almost as fast as card payments, with no cost to the sender, and also considerably cheaper than cards for the receiver. Unfortunately I know no bank in Poland that would offer foreign transfers free of charge...

I just set up a personal "skrill" (moneybookers) account, you could try that: go to moneybookers.com,
and send me the appropriate subscription fee (in euros), your username, and in case of a 6 month
subscription, the preferred book.

(edit: account name removed, information outdated)

Let me know,
thanks,

Patrick

Last edited by pnm on Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next