View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 how is the 15x15? 

Posted on: Tue May 27, 2014 1:46 am

Post Re: how is the 15x15?
Having been on this site for about 4 years now, am amazed at how many changes have occurred and lately that changes are occurring on a regular basis.....it wasn't so long ago that the puzzles were changed which I didn't like because it favored the users who are smart enough to do a large puzzle in about a 1/6th of the time that I could and now you want to keep adding larger puzzles and a greater point value to them......at one time I could average 60 points/day and now am lucky to get 50+ points on some of the days in the weekly cycle......and now a no-op 7x7 twin [angry] ......I keep hoping I'd be able to get "more" out of this site than "less"......there has to be a "middle road" for the "brainy users" and the "not so brainy"......and with these changes I just don't see this occurring [sad]!!!

Posted on: Tue May 27, 2014 8:48 am

beaker wrote:
Having been on this site for about 4 years now, am amazed at how many changes have occurred and lately that changes are occurring on a regular basis.....

Yes, I've been putting a lot of time into the site lately. For example, the changes
required to support a "twin no-op" were substantial.. (I'll put up a test twin no-op
as a user puzzle soon).
beaker wrote:
it wasn't so long ago that the puzzles were changed which I didn't like because it favored the users who are smart enough to do a large puzzle in about a 1/6th of the time that I could and now you want to keep adding larger puzzles and a greater point value to them......

Hopefully it is slowly converging to something reasonable. Awarding more
points for the 15x15 makes sense I think.
beaker wrote:
at one time I could average 60 points/day and now am lucky to get 50+ points on some of the days in the weekly cycle......and now a no-op 7x7 twin [angry]

Probably the main reason for this was the removal of 1-2 regular puzzles each day (when compared
to the time when there were up to 13 puzzles on a day). And the no-op twin is there to make life easier (!)
I'm estimating it'll be solvable in 10-30 minutes, instead of the 1-3 hours required to solve a 15x15.
beaker wrote:
......I keep hoping I'd be able to get "more" out of this site than "less"......there has to be a "middle road" for the "brainy users" and the "not so brainy"......and with these changes I just don't see this occurring [sad]!!!

Are there particular puzzle types you'd like to see more of?

Patrick

Posted on: Tue May 27, 2014 3:30 pm

pnm wrote:
sjs34 wrote:
Overall and over time the weekly point balance seems to be shifting to the advantage of those proficient at timed puzzles (which does not include me).

Just had a brainwave about this [blink] : maybe the timed bonus points should be
awarded weekly...

I'm not sure I follow. What would this look like? Thanks.

Posted on: Tue May 27, 2014 3:52 pm

jaek wrote:
I'm not sure I follow. What would this look like? Thanks.

Fastest times of the week get awarded bonus points
(e.g. every Sunday)

But of course then it would be even more the usual suspects getting the points [bored]

Posted on: Tue May 27, 2014 10:59 pm

pnm wrote:
(I'll put up a test twin no-op as a user puzzle soon).
Looking forward to that! [thumbup]

Posted on: Tue May 27, 2014 11:15 pm

bram wrote:
Looking forward to that! [thumbup]

You only have to wait another 45 minutes [woot]

Posted on: Tue May 27, 2014 11:40 pm

looking forward but [scared].....wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

Last edited by beaker on Fri May 30, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on: Wed May 28, 2014 11:08 am

pnm wrote:
Just had a brainwave about this [blink] : maybe the timed bonus points should be
awarded weekly...

At the very least, maybe you could award the 1 participation point per timed puzzle instantly, and award the remaining 1-9 points to the winners on the following day (or week, in that case).

I know it's just an aesthetic thing, but it feels more natural to "earn" those 3 points (for us slower puzzle solvers) on the day that you complete the timed puzzle, rather than starting with 3 points on the next day from the previous day's timed puzzles.

Posted on: Wed May 28, 2014 11:15 am

firefly wrote:
At the very least, maybe you could award the 1 participation point per timed puzzle instantly, and award the remaining 1-9 points to the winners on the following day (or week, in that case).

Not a bad idea, thanks [smile]

Posted on: Thu May 29, 2014 9:57 am

Oh, I like 15x15, it sometime needs more time, but there is a mounth to solve it. Bye bye

Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next