View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 am



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 how is the 15x15? 
Author Message

Posted on: Sat May 03, 2014 9:31 pm




Posts: 690
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
pnm wrote:
And this one?? [scared]

...


Thanks, this no-op 10x10 is very amused, it requires some time but not so much, probably because the level is not high. As usual (like in the 6x6 no-op on sundays) there are some cages where the operator is not unique: cage 6 in f1-g1, cage 5 in g4-g5, cage 6 in a7-a8 and cage 4 in j9-j10.

In my opinion what makes this puzzle easier is that in many big cages (and several 2-cell cages) the operator is inmediately determined, I mean the cages 108, 72, 25, 19, 288, 13, 560, 21, 1792, 17, 33 and 42. The cage 24 in g7-f7-g8-f8 is the exception.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sat May 03, 2014 9:36 pm




Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
clm wrote:
Thanks, this no-op 10x10 is very amused, it requires some time but not so much, probably because the level is not high.

I can make it harder of course, but I get the sense people need the occasional breather [love]


Profile

Posted on: Sun May 25, 2014 12:13 am




Posts: 116
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 3:18 am
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
I hadn't been reading the forum for a while, so I'm only just now seeing this. I like the 15x15, agree that it's just about right in terms of difficulty, and that it often takes a lot of time (I usually need about 2 hours, but have done it in just under 1 hour and sometimes more than 3 hours).

I'd be leery of a large no-op, but would be willing to try a couple to see how it goes. If they took a lot less than an hour to solve, it would be beneficial. But I would be far more in favor of keeping the 15x15 and getting double points for it! [razz]


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sun May 25, 2014 9:40 am




Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
pharosian wrote:
I hadn't been reading the forum for a while, so I'm only just now seeing this. I like the 15x15, agree that it's just about right in terms of difficulty, and that it often takes a lot of time (I usually need about 2 hours, but have done it in just under 1 hour and sometimes more than 3 hours).

I'd be leery of a large no-op, but would be willing to try a couple to see how it goes. If they took a lot less than an hour to solve, it would be beneficial. But I would be far more in favor of keeping the 15x15 and getting double points for it! [razz]


Yes, I suppose it's time to start awarding more points for the 15x15...

But I'm also reading in your reply that it is maybe taking too much time to solve?
(so it could be good to have it only every other week, for example)

Patrick


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sun May 25, 2014 1:35 pm




Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
 Re: how is the 15x15?
Something like this may be easy and entertaining [sleep]

Image


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sun May 25, 2014 2:05 pm




Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 pm
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
pnm wrote:
Something like this may be easy and entertaining [sleep]

This was pretty easy. But more importantly it was quite entertaining. Sometimes the twins are 'nearly discrete', but it feels like the no op aspect of these twins made me play one off the other more than most. I would like to see something like this some Saturdays.

And for selfish reasons I would like to _not_ see the 15x15 count for more points. At present I skip the 15x15 because I value the time required more than the points rewarded. If it counted more I'd have to reassess.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sun May 25, 2014 2:26 pm




Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
jaek wrote:
And for selfish reasons I would like to _not_ see the 15x15 count for more points. At present I skip the 15x15 because I value the time required more than the points rewarded. If it counted more I'd have to reassess.

Hm, not sure what to do now,
I had already planned to make it worth 17 points starting June... [blink]


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sun May 25, 2014 3:13 pm




Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
Another one, slightly more difficult.

If I do put puzzles like these online, I'll have to think about how to manage having
to enter operators in different places for the left and right puzzle..

Image


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sun May 25, 2014 3:30 pm




Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 pm
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
pnm wrote:
jaek wrote:
And for selfish reasons I would like to _not_ see the 15x15 count for more points. At present I skip the 15x15 because I value the time required more than the points rewarded. If it counted more I'd have to reassess.

Hm, not sure what to do now,
I had already planned to make it worth 17 points starting June... [blink]

I was just stating my preference. The folks who tackle such a large puzzle should be rewarded. I'll just have to decide If I'll start being one of those people. I'm sure my wife will love to hear me say, "I'd love to rescreen the windows, but I have to finish this 15x15 calcudoku first." [biggrin]


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sun May 25, 2014 3:36 pm




Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: how is the 15x15?
And another, shouldn't be that hard.

Image


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.