View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 should the "bold" function in the number pad retain state? 

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Post Re: should the "bold" function in the number pad retain stat
mparisi wrote:
but I find it disconcerting that the bold button has a different behavior based on whether the cell is empty or not. If you want to put a bold number in an empty cell you can click on the cell and then click on bold and then the number, but if there already is a number in the cell you have to clock on the cell, click on the number, click on the cell again and click on bold.

For the 2nd case (number already in cell) I do the following:
- click on the cell
- click on bold on/off
This bolds the number and closes the number pad. This doesn't work on your browser/tablet?

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:33 pm

No, the numbers on the pad are not too small.

I have a sensitive track pad and occasionally it will register a tap and change a number that I have put in bold.
It happens when I am thinking about a different.
I usually catch it when it happens.

If I am the only one who does this, then it is my problem and not anyone else's.

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:42 pm

pnm wrote:
mparisi wrote:
but I find it disconcerting that the bold button has a different behavior based on whether the cell is empty or not. If you want to put a bold number in an empty cell you can click on the cell and then click on bold and then the number, but if there already is a number in the cell you have to clock on the cell, click on the number, click on the cell again and click on bold.

For the 2nd case (number already in cell) I do the following:
- click on the cell
- click on bold on/off
This bolds the number and closes the number pad. This doesn't work on your browser/tablet?

Patrick

I was talking about the case where the number already in the cell is incorrect. For example, let's say I want to put a bold 7 in a cell. If the cell is currently empty I click on the cell, click bold, click 7. If the cell has a 3 in it and I try to click on the cell, click bold and click 7, the number pad disappears before I can click on the 7 and I end up with a bold 3 in the cell.

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:49 pm

mparisi wrote:
I was talking about the case where the number already in the cell is incorrect. For example, let's say I want to put a bold 7 in a cell. If the cell is currently empty I click on the cell, click bold, click 7. If the cell has a 3 in it and I try to click on the cell, click bold and click 7, the number pad disappears before I can click on the 7 and I end up with a bold 3 in the cell.

Hm, tough one.

Because you see how it's meant to be: "now I know this number is correct, so let's bold it".

Maybe the pad should stay open then when you bold a cell that already has a number?

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Wouldn't you have to remove the 3 before bolding another number in that cell.......I have inadvertently tried to insert a bold number into a cell with a number already present but all I get is bolding the number that is already present.

Posted on: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 pm

beaker wrote:
Wouldn't you have to remove the 3 before bolding another number in that cell.......I have inadvertently tried to insert a bold number into a cell with a number already present but all I get is bolding the number that is already present.

Yes, that's supposed to happen. It really is a question of what is most common and most natural, and to make that happen [blink]

In any case, for the one user who asked for the bold button to retain state, I've put in some custom code,
so it behaves like that _only_ for his account.

Posted on: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:08 pm

What I would really like to see is the ability to bold individual pencil marks so I know which numbers are "locked" (i.e. can't use them on any other space in the row or column.)

Posted on: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:25 am

mparisi wrote:
What I'd REALLY like to see on the popup pad is an undo button. As far as I can tell that functionality is not available without a keyboard.

By far the easiest solution was to add an undo button below the puzzle (now just to
the left of the "Clear all cells" button), let me know if that works for you.

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:54 pm

pnm wrote:
mparisi wrote:
What I'd REALLY like to see on the popup pad is an undo button. As far as I can tell that functionality is not available without a keyboard.

By far the easiest solution was to add an undo button below the puzzle (now just to
the left of the "Clear all cells" button), let me know if that works for you.

Patrick

Thanks. That's even better, you don't have to click on an arbitrary cell first.

Posted on: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:43 pm

What would be really cool, but probably very difficult to implement, is a layering system like graphics programs typically have, for performing experiments. Probably difficult to come up with a decent UI as well.

I accomplish this now by saving the puzzle, using the bold function on the one cell I want to recall as the "what if" cell, and if the experiment fails I reload from the saved state afterwhich I can remove that one "what if" as a possibility.

Multiple layers is even more tedious: I save, then load the puzzle in a different browser tab.
If I've got a full size computer, I usually screen grab to a graphics program (gimp) and scribble in there. This is only needed for the puzzles that are difficult for me.

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2