View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Twin calcudoku 20 april 2016 

Posted on: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:48 am

Post Twin calcudoku 20 april 2016
The right one has only 1 solution, so the left one is for John with the short name. [omg]

Posted on: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:53 am

Post Re: Twin calcudoku 20 april 2016
The "approval process" for twins is not very sophisticated: a pair of puzzles is accepted
if at least one of them has a unique solution [glare]

It'd be nicer of course if neither of them have a unique solution, but the pair of them does.

nicow wrote:
John with the short name

a bit more precise:

"John with the short surname"

[lol]

Posted on: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:59 pm

nicow wrote:
The right one has only 1 solution, so the left one is for John with the short name. [omg]

pnm wrote:
The "approval process" for twins is not very sophisticated: a pair of puzzles is accepted
if at least one of them has a unique solution [glare]

I was too busy rushing through my daily quota of puzzles to ever notice this before! Having seen your posts, I went back and solved the right puzzle of today's 8x8 twins on its own, which in this case was actually a much more interesting & rewarding experience than solving the two puzzles combined [smile] Maybe I should stop mindlessly grabbing points online every day and turn my attention to books such as 121 Advanced Puzzles, vols II and III, which just arrived in the mail [woot]

Posted on: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:02 pm

bram wrote:
and turn my attention to books such as 121 Advanced Puzzles, vols II and III, which just arrived in the mail [woot]

[thumbup] cool
Can you later write a review? (I see that there are not many reviews on Amazon UK yet)
[smile]

Posted on: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:27 am

pnm wrote:
[thumbup] cool
Can you later write a review? (I see that there are not many reviews on Amazon UK yet)
[smile]

I actually already kind of owe you feedback/reviews for the books I bought from Amazon UK three months ago: the Calcudoku Series - January and 201 Tricky Puzzles, original 2011 edition. The latter has been unavailable since then - the copy I got was the very last one in stock. Maybe you could reissue it as a PDF for download from calcudoku.org like you did with 102 Large Puzzles, original 2011 edition?

Posted on: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:40 am

bram wrote:
The latter has been unavailable since then - the copy I got was the very last one in stock. Maybe you could reissue it as a PDF for download from calcudoku.org like you did with 102 Large Puzzles, original 2011 edition?

Yes, could do that (although only a handful of people bought a PDF so far).

I could maybe instead re-release the books via "createspace" (so printed again).

Posted on: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:21 pm

I encourage you to find a way to release unavailable books.
I have purchased what I could through PDFs.
I would also buy it through create space.

I prefer the PDF because the puzzle comes out on 8 x 11 page

Posted on: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:50 pm

pnm wrote:
Yes, could do that (although only a handful of people bought a PDF so far).

Maybe some subscribers haven't yet noticed, in spite of it now being neatly illustrated on their book history page, that the puzzles and puzzle codes in the original edition of "102 Large Puzzles" (available as a PDF download here at a bargain, only $4.95!) and the original edition of "201 Tricky Puzzles" (formerly available through Amazon, now out of print) are different ones from those in the "Extra" editions of those titles that you get for free (in PDF format) with a one-year subscription to the site. Or maybe people aren't as "completist" as me when it comes to book puzzles. It may of course also simply be that oldtimers bought the print editions ages ago and newcomers have their hands full with the overwhelming amount of (excellent!) new material such as "121 Advanced Puzzles" vol II & vol III, and the 2016 "Calcudoku series": January, February, March, April ... [smile]

pnm wrote:
I could maybe instead re-release the books via "createspace" (so printed again).

eclipsegirl wrote:
I would also buy it through create space.

I prefer the PDF because the puzzle comes out on 8 x 11 page

I agree with eclipsegirl that it would be nice to have all titles still available, if that is possible. I prefer PDF too because it saves space on my bookshelf and I can just bring a print of a few puzzles (two to a page, if I like) with me on a trip rather than the whole book. Also, not knowing the ins and outs of self-publishing, I thought that maybe the cost and effort of making a PDF out of existing material (which, I admit, probably won't sell in large numbers) would be less than that of preparing it for a new print run? [unsure] At any rate, if you are the one making a title available through your own website, you won't ever have to worry about that particular title again in terms of dealing with a publisher, deciding whether to reprint if it becomes unavailable, or responding to pesky puzzlers nagging you for access to it [tongue]

On another note, I'm really getting hooked on book puzzles in general! [thumbup] For some reason, many of them come across as more "hand-crafted" (elegantly composed, illustrative of particular themes or ideas) than the ones on the website, and it is nice not to be tempted to press "Save for later" if you get stuck and do trial and error from that point, as is the case if you're puzzling online and eager to manage the day's "quota".

Posted on: Tue May 03, 2016 6:40 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:

Alright, this took some editing and programming, but the "201 Tricky Puzzles" is now also
available as a download:

http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/buybook

Apologies in advance for any bugs [scared]

(let me know if you run into anything)

Last edited by pnm on Tue May 03, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Tue May 03, 2016 8:50 pm

pnm wrote:
eclipsegirl wrote:

Alright, this took some editing and programming, but the "201 Tricky Puzzles" is now also
available as a download:

http://local.calcudoku.org/ops/buybook

Apologies in advance for any bugs [scared]

(let me know if you run into anything)

Should that be http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/buybook ?

Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next