View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:47 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 how to successfully renew a subscription 

Posted on: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:23 am

Post how to successfully renew a subscription
I just tried renewing my subscription, and finally got a message from Paypal that the transaction had been successful.
But I still see the message "your subscription is ending soon". My deadline is approaching & I'm worried.

Posted on: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:17 am

Post Re: how to successfully renew a subscription
cecileb wrote:
I just tried renewing my subscription, and finally got a message from Paypal that the transaction had been successful.
But I still see the message "your subscription is ending soon". My deadline is approaching & I'm worried.

You can add a subscription at any time, it'll just be "tacked on" (so you could subscribe for 1 year 5 times in a row :-) )

After payment, wait until Paypal returns you to the site:

If you don't, then the server does not receive the note from Paypal that the payment was successful,
so then the subscription is not extended automatically.

I do get an email from Paypal about the payment, and an email about the subscription extension.
So if the 2nd one is missing, I add the subscription manually (which I did just now :)

So no worries [thumbup]

Patrick

Posted on: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:45 pm

The same thing happened to me once. It's been a while and I was confused at the time so don't remember the specifics It was obvious after the fact how I'd erred; but not so at the time. Does PayPal redirect you back to calcudoku.org after a bit? Or does the subscriber need to return via a link on the page?

You can't code for a user skimming over or ignoring directions (I mean me, not cecileb) but if you control the wording then 'wait until you return' could be modified to 'wait until you are returned' or 'wait until you are redirected'. 'Site' could be expanded to 'the merchant's site', 'the recipient's site', 'the puzzle site', or even 'calcudoku.com'.

You can't protect me from not reading instructions or randomly, prematurely clicking on things. [biggrin] But if I manage to keep my hands in my lap and read everything then a few extra words might help.

Posted on: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:36 pm

jaek wrote:
The same thing happened to me once. It's been a while and I was confused at the time so don't remember the specifics It was obvious after the fact how I'd erred; but not so at the time. Does PayPal redirect you back to calcudoku.org after a bit? Or does the subscriber need to return via a link on the page?

I think usually Paypal redirects you after 10 seconds, and there's a link you can click to return.

Paypal provides a different service ("Instant Payment Notification") which guarantees that my server gets a message when someone has paid.
This requires some extra programming, so maybe I'll put that in once more people skip the "return step".

I could put up an "alert box" with an extra message + Ok button.

Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]