View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Time taken to solve puzzles 

Posted on: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Post Time taken to solve puzzles
If you do a puzzle from start to finish in one go, it shows how long you have spend solving it. I find this very useful as a means of keeping track on how I'm doing.

However, if you save a puzzle and go back to it later, the time shown on completion is the time taken since you last opened it. Is there any way this could be changed to show the total time spent on the puzzle?

Posted on: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Post Re: Time taken to solve puzzles
paulv66 wrote:
However, if you save a puzzle and go back to it later, the time shown on completion is the time taken since you last opened it. Is there any way this could be changed to show the total time spent on the puzzle?

Yes, that's on my todo list..

It means I need to save the time taken so far with the saved puzzle info, and add the saved time.

Posted on: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Great, thanks.

Posted on: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:27 pm

This should be implemented now [smile]

pnm wrote:
paulv66 wrote:

Yes, that's on my todo list..

It means I need to save the time taken so far with the saved puzzle info, and add the saved time.

Posted on: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks Patrick. Now I just need to remember to quit out of a puzzle when I'm saving it for later!

Posted on: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:23 pm

paulv66 wrote:
Thanks Patrick. Now I just need to remember to quit out of a puzzle when I'm saving it for later!

Well, the time stored for the puzzle is the time taken until it was saved.

You could then puzzle on for another hour, copy the solution, reload the page, and fill it in (for example).

So maybe I should add something that updates the time taken when you leave the page..

Posted on: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:19 pm

pnm wrote:
Well, the time stored for the puzzle is the time taken until it was saved.

You could then puzzle on for another hour, copy the solution, reload the page, and fill it in (for example).

So maybe I should add something that updates the time taken when you leave the page..

Just to make sure I understand this, the time that appears when I solve a puzzle is the total elapsed time since I first opened it. Is that correct?

So, if I open a puzzle and work on it for a few minutes, then quit out of calcudoku.org and go back to the puzzle 12 hours later and solve it within a few minutes, it will show the total time taken as just over 12 hours?

I think it would be more useful to be told how long in total I'd spent working on the puzzle, if it's possible to trap this information. I know I could 'cheat' by copying the puzzle, working on it offline and then filling in the answer when I go back online, but what would be the point? I'd only be cheating myself.

Posted on: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:25 pm

paulv66 wrote:
Just to make sure I understand this, the time that appears when I solve a puzzle is the total elapsed time since I first opened it. Is that correct?

So, if I open a puzzle and work on it for a few minutes, then quit out of calcudoku.org and go back to the puzzle 12 hours later and solve it within a few minutes, it will show the total time taken as just over 12 hours?

No: let's say you spend 2 minutes on a puzzle, then save it, a time of 120 seconds is stored for the puzzle.

If you then later reload that puzzle, the timer starts at 120 seconds.

Of course, if you leave the page open for 12 hours after saving it, the timer keeps running (it is not reset to 120 seconds because the page is not reloaded).

Posted on: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks Patrick. That's perfect - exactly what i was looking for.

Posted on: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:06 pm

paulv66 wrote:
Thanks Patrick. That's perfect - exactly what i was looking for.

You can still "game" this, but that's unavoidable of course.
At least now the final number is more realistic.

Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next