View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:20 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Analytical vs TAE ( 9x9 of 22-MAY-2012 ) 

Posted on: Tue May 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Post Analytical vs TAE ( 9x9 of 22-MAY-2012 )
Clm: With respect the puzzle of today I arrived at a situation where I filled in almost every cages analytically except the +cages, three of dimension 4 and 4 of dimension 5. I think it is impossible to continue that way and I solved the rest of the puzzle with some TAE.
And now I have finished the day I'm going to play Risen 2 ( Diablo III is for next month ).

Posted on: Tue May 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Post Re: Analytical vs TAE ( 9x9 of 22-MAY-2012 )
jomapil wrote:
Clm: With respect the puzzle of today I arrived at a situation where I filled in almost every cages analytically except the +cages, three of dimension 4 and 4 of dimension 5. I think it is impossible to continue that way and I solved the rest of the puzzle with some TAE.
And now I have finished the day I'm going to play Risen 2 ( Diablo III is for next month ).

Thank you for your dedication and opinions, you are actually at top level again. This time, once more, I think it's possible to complete everything analytically; i.e., you have arrived at a situation where a 2 must be in i8-i9, then it's easy to demonstrate that a second 2 cann't go to g8-g9 in "24+" (possibly an important step) then in column g you would have g4 = 2, and later you will need a 2 in "13+", ... ; unfortunately, for the moment, I have not much extra time to prepare the full solution (these large puzzles require 4-5 hours, will see in about two more weeks or so ... ); here, in the Forum, I have to finish (I hope) first a new "paper" I am actually preparing for this section [smile]; but I have to travel (just a little busy, but not overseas, my country) though, of course, I will try to do my daily puzzles and pay attention to the Forum.

Posted on: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Clm.

I continue to improve my solutions and now I solve analytically almost always all the puzzles. But I continue to use many times the TAE, principally in the 6x6 difficult and always with the modules. It is even impossible to use the rule of the sum of the rows and columns as well the parity rule. The module of today (28JUN2012) took me several TAE. And a month after the beginning of the extras I thought the extras would be special puzzles ( and different of the present ones ) but except the 7x7 negative they are always the same. What do you think?

Posted on: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:57 am

jomapil wrote:
Hi Clm.

I continue to improve my solutions and now I solve analytically almost always all the puzzles. But I continue to use many times the TAE, principally in the 6x6 difficult and always with the modules. It is even impossible to use the rule of the sum of the rows and columns as well the parity rule. The module of today (28JUN2012) took me several TAE. And a month after the beginning of the extras I thought the extras would be special puzzles ( and different of the present ones ) but except the 7x7 negative they are always the same. What do you think?

With respect to the yesterday's 8x8 (June 28, 2012), little things can be seen at a first glance, like f3 = 6, h3 = 5 (and h4 = 7) since "12+" cann't be [4,8] due to the impossibility of filling the cage "4:" ([1,1,4] or [1,2,8]), also since "3mod" (a4) cann't be now [4,7] or [5,8] it must contain a 3 and then a3 = 7 (and b3 = 3), etc... , but as you say the addition or parity rules can not be applied from the beginning, in some cases with the "module" puzzles it's possible when the puzzle has been sufficiently advanced.

With respect to your second subject, yes, we have only one month of experience with the extra puzzles, and they are very similar to the regular, the -3 to 3's have been configured with a really low rating till the moment, I would also prefer different or "special" puzzles (including 13x13, 14x14, 16x16, modulo and "from 0" sometimes, with a different cycle than a week, ... ) but I do not know the opinion of the other subscribers (votation?), for me to gain the points is not the more important thing, for me the "challenge" is the target. In general I am very happy, anyway, of being a subscriber and have more puzzles and I do not find it expensive (1,33 euros per month?) I used to buy magazines (3,95 euros twice a month for the kakuros, 2,95 euros every week for the advanced sudokus, and generally different types of books along the year range from 5,50 to 7,00 ... , or sometimes special newspapers to find the "killers" or the samurais ...) though it's true that some Internet sites ("crazydad" and other) have free puzzles but not as good as these very qualified and special calcudokus (365 extra puzzles and two books ... I find it a very very convenient price).

Posted on: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:05 am

Glad for one person, at least, to be in accordance with me. The extra puzzles must be EXTRAs===SPECIALs. But it is Patrick that holds all the cards. But I remember he said ( maybe in a dream [confused] ) that maybe there would be a 16x16 puzzle in a month at least.
About the price of subscription it is more than fair the puzzlers pay the costs Patrick spend with the site. It's enough his hard work with the daily construction of the puzzles and the permanent job with the maintenance and improvements of the site.
BTW, Patrick, how much time do you spend daily with the site?

Posted on: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am

jomapil wrote:
BTW, Patrick, how much time do you spend daily with the site?

My guess is at least 1-2 hours on average every day.
Sometimes there are periods with a lot more (such as when adding
a large new feature).

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]