View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Analysis of 29 Jun 2012 6x6 Difficult with sums 

Posted on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:30 am

Post Analysis of 29 Jun 2012 6x6 Difficult with sums
In the short time I've been on this site, I've been thankful for clm's analysis and strategy posts. When I solved the puzzle in the title, it was in part due to the clear way in which clm has described how to use some of the less obvious strategies. I hope this post helps some of the beginners see how useful sums can be.

Here's the blank puzzle:

And here it is with some of the more obvious possibilities filled in:

I noticed two things when I got to this point: There are only two non-sum cages, the 3- and 2-, and there are two 10+ cages in the center which looked nicely symmetric and caught my eye. I started my sum analysis with the two subtraction cages; since everything else was an addition, I could add them all up and subtract from the total of all cells to find the sum of the two subtraction cages.

Total sum of all cells: 21 (sum of one column/row) x 6 = 126
Sum of addition cages: 21+15+18+16+9+10+3+5+10+6 = 113
Difference = sum of two subtraction cages = 13

Possibilities for subtraction cages, [x,y] with sum (S)
3- [1,4] (5), [2,5] (7), [3,6] (9)
2- [1,3] (4), [2,4] (6), [3,5] (8) ([4,6] is disallowed due to both the 10+ cage and the impossibility of making a sum of 13 with the 3- cage)

That turned out not to be immediately useful, so I set it aside to look at the large L shaped cages and the 10+ cages.

Due to the pattern of the puzzle, I could split it in half for analysis four different ways; I chose to start with the left side. Since d1 was 1, 2, 3, or 5, the other cells of the 21+ cage (a2,a1,b1,c1) had to sum up to 20, 19, 18, or 16. Cell c6 was under similar constraints as d1, and could only be 1, 2, 3, or 5. And from the first analysis, the 2- cage could only sum 4, 6, or 8. Finally, the sum of the addition cages in the three left hand columns was 16+9+10+6 = 41, so the remaining cells in those three columns had to sum to 22 to make the columns equal 63 (21 x 3).

So, below are the possibilities laid out a bit more clearly. Picking one from each has to sum 22.
a2,a1,b1,c1: 20 19 18 16
c6: 1 2 3 5
2- b4,c4: 4 6 8

Note the smallest possibilities for the partial 21+ cage and 2- cage sum to 20; that leads to the only possible solution being 16, 2, and 4. And from the earlier analysis, since the 2- sums to 4, the 3- must sum to 9. Let's see what that immediately gets us, without going one step further:

I put the above image up because as soon as we fill in the 2 and the [1,3] and [3,6], an unbelievably large number of cells become solved through the most basic calcudoku analysis. After doing said analysis and adding the remaining possibilities, here's what we have:

I think clm would call this puzzle "solved" at this point. :) And with good reason! Starting with 21+ again, since it has two solved cells, we see the remaining 3 cells need to sum 16. That forces [5,5,6]. Adding those cells and doing further basic analysis leads directly to the solution:

The moral of this story: sums can be quite useful with pattern puzzles! :)

Regards,
-Jake

ps If someone wants to tell me how to get the images to show up full size in the forum, I'd appreciate it!

Site Admin

Posted on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 am

Post Re: Analysis of 29 Jun 2012 6x6 Difficult with sums
jake4 wrote:
ps If someone wants to tell me how to get the images to show up full size in the forum, I'd appreciate it!

when uploading to imageshack, there's a "resize dropdown", which has an option "do not resize": pick that one.

I replaced the image links with the original sized ones in your post.

and thanks for the post :-)

Posted on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:16 am

More and more I solve about 90% of the puzzles with analytical methods. But this damned pattern I must always use TAE. With your explanation I think I can widen the use of analysis improving my " statistics ".
So not only the beginners but also the experienced gain something from your explanation.
Thanks Jake4.

Posted on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:20 pm

calcpnm wrote:
jake4 wrote:

when uploading to imageshack, there's a "resize dropdown", which has an option "do not resize": pick that one.

I replaced the image links with the original sized ones in your post.

and thanks for the post :-)

I could have sworn I selected "do not resize" when I uploaded them. Oh well, better luck next time.

jomapil wrote:
More and more I solve about 90% of the puzzles with analytical methods. But this damned pattern I must always use TAE. With your explanation I think I can widen the use of analysis improving my " statistics ".
So not only the beginners but also the experienced gain something from your explanation.
Thanks Jake4.

You're welcome! [thumbsup]

Posted on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:18 pm

jake4 wrote:
In the short time I've been on this site, I've been thankful for clm's analysis and strategy posts. When I solved the puzzle in the title, it was in part due to the clear way in which clm has described how to use some of the less obvious strategies. I hope this post helps some of the beginners see how useful sums can be. ...

Very kind but this time it's me who thanks you for your effort and wait many more in the future, your solution is fully analtycal and it's exactly the way I followed. But for puzzles like this I usually simplify a litte bit the calculations (of course we can do many things, like calculating the sum of those two subtraction cages, which is 13, calculating the sum of the 4x4 inner area, which is 56, calculating the sum of the corners, which is 14, etc.) but all this is not in fact necessary; as an example of my method (very similar to yours) I adjoin a graphic that explains how I obtained the full solution:

Posted on: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Thank you both, jake4 and clm!

I had used sums to determine that the 2- and 3- cages added up to 13, but didn't know where to go from there, and ended up using trial and error with the (7+6), (8+5), and (9+4) combinations. [bored] In future, I hope to be able to use the techniques outlined above. [thumbup]

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]