View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Tip for getting faster at timed puzzles 

Posted on: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Post Tip for getting faster at timed puzzles
More for if you average 10-16 seconds on 4x4.

Learn something called "look-ahead" (I'm borrowing this term from my speedcubing hobby). When you are moving to a cell and typing in the number, don't look at it but find the next numbers to input. It really helps a lot not to have to pause after you input in a number to look for what to do next. I wonder how many people are looking at orange cursor box watching it move to the desired cell instead of letting your fingers know what to do and already figuring out the next cells.

Posted on: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:17 am

Post Re: Tip for getting faster at timed puzzles
I'm looking at my keyboard to find the arrow & number keys LOL

Posted on: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 am

ineedaname wrote:
I'm looking at my keyboard to find the arrow & number keys LOL

Right... so keep your fingers on the numbers and arrows and then practice by not looking at your fingers.

Posted on: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:15 am

OK if you've got a background in key manipulation without looking at the keys......just can not get my brain and fingers coordinated to this .....probably explains why I took piano lessons as a child and could never learn the keys and why when I took a typing course was failed even though I could type "B" letter grade level (but had to look at the keys :-) )

Posted on: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Arrow keys and number keys are much easier than typing. I believe that you can do it too. All it takes is practice. Just use regular puzzles and practice the arrow keys first. Don't look at the arrows when you move around.

Posted on: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Thank you for your confidence......I will try the arrow keys in the general puzzles......I need something because lately my times are getting worse for the 4x4 instead of better!!

Posted on: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Arrow keys and number keys are much easier than typing. I believe that you can do it too. All it takes is practice. Just use regular puzzles and practice the arrow keys first. Don't look at the arrows when you move around.

I'm curious. Do you use your left hand on the arrow keys and right hand on the numeric keypad? I've been using my left hand on the number keys on the top row of the keyboard and right hand on the arrow keys, not that I'm fast enough for it to matter.

Posted on: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:20 am

mparisi wrote:
I'm curious. Do you use your left hand on the arrow keys and right hand on the numeric keypad? I've been using my left hand on the number keys on the top row of the keyboard and right hand on the arrow keys, not that I'm fast enough for it to matter.

I'm curious, too. I also use left hand on top row, and right hand on arrow keys. That's mostly because neither my personal nor work laptops have a numeric keypad. I've never tried it on a full sized keyboard.

Posted on: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:50 am

I have a full size keyboard and use right hand on the arrows and left hand on the numbers along the top and posted, today, my first < 19.5 sec for the 4x4......things are looking up [thumbsup]

Posted on: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 pm

mparisi wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:

Generally I keep my right hand on the arrows and my left hand on the numbers above the keypad. I've tried with my left hand on the arrows and my right hand on the numpad, but I find it too cramped. My hands just get in the way of each other. [razz]

Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next