View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 on the ads 
Site Admin

Posted on: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 am

on the ads
I've had two complaints now about there being adult-oriented ads on the main page: my apologies
for this, this was obviously not my intention, and I never saw them myself.

For the record, the text that is now on the main page instead of the ads:
Quote:
To the person who e-mailed me anonymously: I did not choose to put adult-oriented ads on the site, the advertising provider did. After complaining to them, they wrote it was not possible to filter ads, but that these ads would only show up late in the evening. I decided to wait until I reached their payout limit ($10) and then not use the company anymore.

Of course if people start leaving the site because of the ads, I have to disable them right away (which I did).

Because the message was anonymous, I'm now writing to everyone (an e-mail reply would have been easier). Note that I appreciate the feedback, and that you were not the only one to complain.

Also for the record, the ad provider is called "bidvertiser".

I'll most likely switch back to "addynamo" (which I was using before).

Patrick

Posted on: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:38 am

Post Re: on the ads
Thanks for the explanation, Patrick.

I wonder if bidvertiser is determining "late in the evening" by your location or the location of the IP address of the person visiting your site.

Posted on: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:44 pm

jake4 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, Patrick.

I wonder if bidvertiser is determining "late in the evening" by your location or the location of the IP address of the person visiting your site.

I was wondering the same thing. For as many countries represented by the players on this site, there's really no such thing as "late at night" for everyone. While I never saw any offensive ads (and I play at all hours), it really strikes me as callous and insensitive on the provider's part not to realize that some sites aren't going to want that kind of ad displayed EVER, not to be able to filter, and (apparently) not provide some up-front notification/warning to their clients about this practice.

Posted on: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks, Patrick. Although I never saw any adult-oriented ads either, I'm glad this site won't have them. Even though my daughter is too young to do the calcudoku by herself, she does do them with me as a sort of number training (I tell her which numbers to press). It would be a problem if there were adult-oriented ads on the pages.

Posted on: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Alright, I've started an experiment with a different ad provider ("clickbank"), where you
get to pick your own ads (!). I've picked 18 ads so far. For now they're only showing
on the rankings page (and shortly on the forum as well).

It's a lot more work obviously, but at least I have control over what is shown on the page.

This also means that if you don't like a particular ad, or maybe you know the product
and it's no good, then you can let me know and I can remove it myself :-)

I hope this works better than those automatic ad networks..

Comments welcome,

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:29 pm

pnm wrote:
Alright, I've started an experiment with a different ad provider ("clickbank"), where you
get to pick your own ads (!). I've picked 18 ads so far. For now they're only showing

dropped clickbank again... :-/

in any case, don't hesitate to send me any query/complaint/etc. about the ads.

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:51 am

The adds never bothered me before, but the talking adds are very annoying. They don't stop even when you click on remove add.

Posted on: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 am

I find the ones that move alot very distracting.

Posted on: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:23 am

tom wrote:
The adds never bothered me before, but the talking adds are very annoying. They don't stop even when you click on remove add.

I thought they did, thanks for the note, I'll fix that.

Posted on: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

pnm wrote:
tom wrote:

I thought they did, thanks for the note, I'll fix that.

Alright, I just tested with a few ads, but "Remove Ads" does remove the ad and stop the sound.

Which browser are you using?

Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next