View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 redesign ideas 

Posted on: Wed May 16, 2012 6:36 pm

Post Re: redesign ideas
I'm with sneaklyfox, I would rather have a plain white background.

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 7:51 pm

calcpnm wrote:
Hello all,

Ideas for redesign ...

... a visual design (colour scheme, possibly logo, possibly some kind of "number theme",
e.g. large light numbers in the background for example)

Any suggestions appreciated :-)

Patrick

You are doing a good job in redesigning the page (something new everyday ... I understand the effort) as you group the features it's looking more elegant and clear. The idea of the envelopes is very smart and probably you could do the same for the future's "puzzle's configuration and information" (I mean that even you could include in the same envelope, along with the puzzle characteristics, that is, the "Continuous error ... ", etc, the informaton of the Puzzle id: and Solver rating).
I am seing you are working now with the calendar, perhaps it's time to increase it a little to, let's say, 10 days? [smile].
In a different subject, I think that the "social networks", "g +1", "flike" and "YouTube" could go together as in most web pages, and you could gain a line of space.

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 8:18 pm

clm wrote:
In a different subject, I think that the "social networks", "g +1", "flike" and "YouTube" could go together as in most web pages, and you could gain a line of space.

Yes, thanks, good idea.
And you're right, I'm fiddling with the layout whenever I find some time.

I had initially hired someone on "odesk" (freelancer hiring site) to do some design,
but they turned out to be scammers :-(

Patrick

Posted on: Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 am

pnm wrote:

I had initially hired someone on "odesk" (freelancer hiring site) to do some design,
but they turned out to be scammers :-(

Patrick

Yes, sometimes it's better to do the job oneself ...

OK, now when you select any previous date in the calendar (and it appears a small icon with the "Show solution") the full page seems to move with respect to the "today's" page in such a way that the top right envelope overlaps part of the japanese flag (perhaps you can move the flags a little bit to the left ... ). BTW, the literal for the japanese flag does not appear below the cursor (only three small squares), though the full page is translated.

Posted on: Sat May 19, 2012 5:05 am

clm wrote:
You are doing a good job in redesigning the page (something new everyday ... I understand the effort) as you group the features it's looking more elegant and clear.

I agree with clm, the gradual changes are all improving the general look and feel of the site.

I have a couple things to share my opinion on:

I'd like to see the solver rating (and puzzle id) on the same line as rating/points above the puzzle instead of hidden away at the bottom. Solver rating is related to the rating and points so it seems right to group them. Seems kind of weird to have that info next to the server time.

I would also adjust the options below the puzzle a little, putting the "show coordinates" checkbox above "continuous error checking" and moving the cell size option to the top of those options. I'm picturing this:

Cell size: [small] [medium] [large]
[] Show coordinates
[] Continuous error checking [Check Now]

Posted on: Sat May 19, 2012 11:00 am

jake4 wrote:
I have a couple things to share my opinion on:

Thanks, much appreciated.

I'll be changing (and hopefully improving) things as I find time.

For example, I'm not 100% happy with those sidetabs, mostly the fact that
they're independent of the rest of the page, so they can overlap other elements.
I'll probably change them into fixed buttons.

Patrick

Posted on: Mon May 21, 2012 4:54 am

Another (2-part) idea:
1) Add the unofficial time to solve the puzzle to the individual's history, and
2) Include the time to solve for all puzzles, not just the 4x4, 5x5, and 6x6 ones.

Posted on: Mon May 21, 2012 9:53 am

1) Where is the "solver rating" gone? I can't find it.
2) The calendar is nice, but I'd like to have a direct "today" button nevertheless, without need to go through the calendar.
3) How long is the session timeout? Could the session management be modified somehow? I've been "surpsrised" already several times when solving bigger puzzles - sometimes I just don't have time to do it in one go, so I leave the partial solution for a few hours, than come back, finish the solution, and learn that 'if you were logged on..."

That is to say, that I like most of the recent changes, even the background [biggrin]

Posted on: Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 am

jotempe wrote:
1) Where is the "solver rating" gone? I can't find it.

If you hover over "rating" you see a tooltip with the puzzle id and solver rating.

But I'm going to move that text anyway I think (simply put it after the stars).
And it's possibly one of those things that doesn't work in IE again.
jotempe wrote:
2) The calendar is nice, but I'd like to have a direct "today" button nevertheless, without need to go through the calendar.

Will probably add that.
jotempe wrote:
3) How long is the session timeout? Could the session management be modified somehow? I've been "surpsrised" already several times when solving bigger puzzles - sometimes I just don't have time to do it in one go, so I leave the partial solution for a few hours, than come back, finish the solution, and learn that 'if you were logged on..."

I'll check. Quite a while ago I was fighting with the session management and thought I'd managed to
set it to 24 hours. But maybe not.

Posted on: Mon May 21, 2012 10:19 am

jake4 wrote:

I'd like to see the solver rating (and puzzle id) on the same line as rating/points above the puzzle instead of hidden away at the bottom. Solver rating is related to the rating and points so it seems right to group them. Seems kind of weird to have that info next to the server time.

I would also adjust the options below the puzzle a little, putting the "show coordinates" checkbox above "continuous error checking" and moving the cell size option to the top of those options. I'm picturing this:

Cell size: [small] [medium] [large]
[] Show coordinates
[] Continuous error checking [Check Now]

I think that the Puzzle id: along with the solver rating would be better just below the puzzle (instead of above) (in very small characters if necessary, as a "solid" part of the puzzle, and before the comments on the functions) so not disturbing the coordinates when they are shown above the puzzle; additionally that's interesting for the printed puzzles (without or with the solution) since it keeps the memory and reduces the work of referring to that info in the posts (when graphics are included, i.e.).

In a different context (and these are more suggestions than redesigning ideas) when grouping the puzzle configuration features it could be interesting to have a switch "on/off" for the timer (keeping it "on" by default, I agree for all sizes, and not only the small puzzles). And we must remind the pending feature to have the possibility of activating the coordinates for the "show solution" feature (in screen or in the printed version).

Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next