Calcudoku puzzle forum
http://www.calcudoku.org/forum/

now this is a familiar puzzle type...
http://www.calcudoku.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=397
Page 1 of 2

Author:  pnm  [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:32 pm ]
Post subject:  now this is a familiar puzzle type...

For those of you who don't mind trying out some experimental code...:

http://www.calcudoku.org/sudoku

[blink]

(so feedback very welcome)

Author:  clm  [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

pnm wrote:
For those of you who don't mind trying out some experimental code...:

http://www.calcudoku.org/sudoku

[blink]

(so feedback very welcome)


Medium difficulty. Apparently, with 23 given numbers, it should be more difficult (it is difficult to say with Sudokus, generally the 21 or 22 are the typical difficult ones, but sometimes you find very difficult sudokus with 26, 27 or even 28 given numbers).

The given numbers should be of higher size (and coloured or more bolded) than the numbers entered (I have not checked the candidates feature).

Author:  pharosian  [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

I checked the candidates (pencil mark) feature and it works great. I agree that making the initial set of given numbers look different might be a good thing.


Edit: Actually, there is one small issue with the pencil marks, which also affects some of the regular puzzles. I've been meaning to write it up, but... Anyway, the font for the pencil marks / guesses / candidates is very nice BEFORE an actual number is entered in a cell. But once you've put a "real" number in the cell, if you change your mind and delete it and go back to putting a guess in, the font is much larger and you can see the background color for the guess (light gray?). It's really annoying.

If I recall correctly, it works properly on the regular 12x12 puzzles, but the Extra 12x12 has the issue. I could take a look at the other puzzles that are affected if that would help. It seems that you use two different formats, one that isn't affected by whether the cell has had a "real" value entered and one that does.

Author:  nicow  [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

This sudoku in the AD-newspaper would be considered as 'heavy', which is in fact medium difficulty. Twelve simple turns or 5 turns with block/row-interaction.
A nice sudoku for beginners.

Author:  pnm  [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

pharosian wrote:
Edit: Actually, there is one small issue with the pencil marks, which also affects some of the regular puzzles. I've been meaning to write it up, but... Anyway, the font for the pencil marks / guesses / candidates is very nice BEFORE an actual number is entered in a cell. But once you've put a "real" number in the cell, if you change your mind and delete it and go back to putting a guess in, the font is much larger and you can see the background color for the guess (light gray?). It's really annoying.

Can you post the exact sequence of events that causes this?

I've been trying to reproduce this using exactly the same OS (Mac OS X 10.6.8) and browser that you're using, and can't (!)

Author:  pnm  [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

nicow wrote:
This sudoku in the AD-newspaper would be considered as 'heavy', which is in fact medium difficulty.

Ah yes, the AD newspaper...

If you see "Rekendoku" puzzles in there sometimes, I supplied them, and all of
them had to be totally easy [mellow]

Author:  nicow  [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

I would say that the sudoku of 15 janary is easy, not medium.

Author:  pnm  [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

nicow wrote:
I would say that the sudoku of 15 janary is easy, not medium.

Thanks, that's useful info. I still have to generate a set for 16th-31st, so I'll up the level a bit :-)

Author:  nicow  [ Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

How is the rating calculated?
The sudoku of saturday 19th is 'medium', but it takes 18 turns in my solver.
I might say it is 'hard'. But only because of harder seaching for candidates, not applying more sorts of logic.

Author:  pnm  [ Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: now this is a familiar puzzle type...

nicow wrote:
How is the rating calculated?
The sudoku of saturday 19th is 'medium', but it takes 18 turns in my solver.
I might say it is 'hard'. But only because of harder seaching for candidates, not applying more sorts of logic.

It is based on the score computed by the generator I use (this time
not one I wrote myself, but the one by Mogen Kjær).

You can download his source, and look in the file batch.c, function genabslevel(char *explanation):
during solving it logs the various steps that are used.
Each step gets a point score (presumably based on how difficult it is to find).

For the site, I use sudokus with a score between 120 and 200.
Today's sudoku has a score of 162 (corresponding to about 60 solver steps).

Patrick

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/