View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 the 2014 end-of-year puzzle 

Posted on: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:48 pm

the 2014 end-of-year puzzle
The link should be on the main page by now :)

Apologies to those people who got the "spam" email with the direct link to the puzzle PDF: because
of my mistake, some of you from the US got the email 3 times [scared]

It is quite tricky to send email to more people these days: of course I should add the "opt-in" option with the account
(this will happen) and put an "unsubscribe" link in the mail (will happen also)(but I've been lazy because I send out
less than 1 email a year on average..).

Because the parent company ("Colocrossing") of my server provider ("ChicagoVPS") apparently hosts a lot of spam servers/networks,
the IP address of calcudoku.org was on a "block list" that is used all over the place (the "Spamhaus SBL")(the IP just happened to
be too similar to that of the spamming servers).

My IP was changed to one that is not on this list (which explains why the server was unreachable for 20 minutes or so this afternoon CET)
(some people/internet providers do lazy caching of these addresses, for them unfortunately the outage was/is longer).

The new IP apparently is on a Verizon blocklist (!). I requested for it to be removed, with full info, but all I got from Verizon
was that it was still blocked :-| From what I understand, they're a monopoly, so they couldn't care less anyway (?)

Add to that the need to set up reverse IP lookup properly, add an SPF record, sign messages with DKIM if at all possible, etc. etc.
all thanks to the spammers [thumbdn]

So it'll be at least another year until the next email..

Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Post Re: the 2014 end-of-year puzzle
Solving the puzzle will now get you 15 points [woot]

When submitting at www.calcudoku.org/ops/submit, use puzzle code "e2014".

Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:22 pm

pnm wrote:
Solving the puzzle will now get you 15 points [woot]

When submitting at http://www.calcudoku.org/ops/submit, use puzzle code "e2014".

Many thanks for this special puzzle with the [edited because of spoiler] msg on it (no space for the [...], right?, unless the 11-, 28x, 16+ and 9+ cages could be thought as representing the [...]).

Happy 2015 for you and everyone in the site.

The "0" in the center, cage "109+" with 12 cells, is the largest cage I have worked with to the moment.

The curious thing is that I have sent the solution but the page tells me "You already submitted a book puzzle solution today", so no special circumstances :-) :-) for this extra prize (15 additional points), I am affraid I must wait until tomorrow, but in this case only 3 extra points will be really added (over the normal 12 points of the daily book puzzle) [confused] .

Posted on: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:03 pm

clm wrote:
The curious thing is that I have sent the solution but the page tells me "You already submitted a book puzzle solution today",

How is this a curious thing? You did not expect this message?

(database is showing you submitted puzzle a2z3 ?)

Posted on: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:37 am

pnm wrote:
clm wrote:
The curious thing is that I have sent the solution but the page tells me "You already submitted a book puzzle solution today",

How is this a curious thing? You did not expect this message?

(database is showing you submitted puzzle a2z3 ?)

Thank you, yes, I had sent that puzzle today, I should have reminded that once an extra puzzle is entered via a "book code" the program sets that limitation, even at the end of the year :-) :-), well, will try it in a few minutes, I still have the code.

Posted on: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:21 pm

I got a request for the solution of the puzzle, I'm thinking to publish it next week (14th/15th or so).

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13 pm

If only selfishly, I would prefer that you wait until the end of the month, much as the extra puzzles have a 30 day window. Logistics are not going to permit me to get to it by next week.

Posted on: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:58 am

I agree.....30 day limit would be better and in keeping with lengths of time that already exist for the larger puzzles.

Posted on: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:03 am

sjs34 wrote:
If only selfishly, I would prefer that you wait until the end of the month, much as the extra puzzles have a 30 day window. Logistics are not going to permit me to get to it by next week.

Ok, I'm now looking at the 21st as a deadline.

In any case, you can submit your solution after the 21st and still get the points (just don't look
at the solution, your points would be 'tainted' [scared] )

Posted on: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:34 am

Alright, if you're still stuck,
then here is the solution...

[sleep]

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next