View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 a new book for longer subscribers :) 

Posted on: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:22 pm

Post Re: a new book for longer subscribers :)
eclipsegirl: as I am one of the 90, I will have access to these new possible points........but you won't.......and that is why I thought it was not fair.........I agree with your point re: the downloads as I wouldn't download anything if it wasn't point worthy.........as for my addiction........ALL I WANT IS POINTS.......plus this is my 1534th consecutive day........I missed 1 day while on a trip due to the hotel's computer crashing, otherwise I would have 1797 (what addiction!??) :-)

Posted on: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:48 pm

I understand your thought process. [thumbup]
It is a valid point.
Congrats on being one of the first 90 to gain access to those 41 puzzles.
I will have to wait.

I would love more people to join [thumbsup]
I do tell my family and friends about this site.

This year, when I renewed I gained the access to two books that I am slowly working my way through. (I have 5 left in 102 Large Extra)
It took me a while to realize how much further I can get using the books / downloads.

I was grateful for the reward after renewing for a second year.
I will be grateful for a different reward next year.
I think its is OK to reward longevity / persistence / determination/ obsessions [woot]

Now If Patrick can manage to make the two books that are no longer available somehow available, or that one - off Patrick made for the school in Malaysia..... [biggrin]

Last edited by eclipsegirl on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
pnm wrote:
eclipsegirl wrote:
despite the the knowledge that I will never get close to the top because I joined a little more than one year ago.

I should add some kind of "half life" calculation to the points... :-)

I did not ask for that. [omg]

I am scared I would be a target of much resentment [scared]

Aren't the 7 and 30 day rankings basically just that - rankings with a fairly rapid decay rate?

I suppose if you want to really get people obsessed over never missing a day you could add 6 and 12 month rankings. I take a break every once in a while knowing that I can more or less catch up, and even inch higher on the 7-day ranking with the additional extra puzzles available. But with more rankings between 30 days and all-time it would be harder to step away.

Posted on: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:23 pm

jaek wrote:
I suppose if you want to really get people obsessed over never missing a day you could add 6 and 12 month rankings. I take a break every once in a while knowing that I can more or less catch up,

Quite the opposite, I'd prefer it if people were a bit more relaxed about the points [huh]

Don't want to do away with them completely though.

Posted on: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:02 pm

pnm wrote:
jaek wrote:
I suppose if you want to really get people obsessed over never missing a day you could add 6 and 12 month rankings. I take a break every once in a while knowing that I can more or less catch up,

Quite the opposite, I'd prefer it if people were a bit more relaxed about the points [huh]

Don't want to do away with them completely though.

It's tricky. The modular arithmetic and the user community are a big draw for me. [thumbsup] But the points are definitely a large part of what makes this site so 'sticky'. For better or worse they are part of the calcudoku culture. [unsure]

Posted on: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:16 pm

jaek wrote:
I take a break every once in a while knowing that I can more or less catch up, and even inch higher on the 7-day ranking with the additional extra puzzles available. But with more rankings between 30 days and all-time it would be harder to step away.

I did that periodically during the first year, when I never thought I would even get to 10 K in points.

Now, I am much worse.

Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2