View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 more of which puzzle? 

Posted on: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:36 pm

more of which puzzle?
If there was one extra puzzle every day, which puzzle type should it be??

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Post Re: more of which puzzle?
I opt for a 5x5 or 6x6 no-op puzzle! But if not that, the only one "missing" is 8x8 (or 7x7) easy.

Posted on: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:46 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
I opt for a 5x5 or 6x6 no-op puzzle! But if not that, the only one "missing" is 8x8 (or 7x7) easy.

But you'd really want to see the 8x8 easy return?
I took that one out because I thought there were too many puzzles in a day..

Posted on: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:56 pm

pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:

If an 8x8 easy would be addition only, that's maybe an investment of 5 extra minutes; I wouldn't mind it.

Personally, I'd love to see 8x8 timed puzzles, but I'm kind of primarily focused on the timed puzzles, which doesn't represent the majority of the site.

I'd also love a once a week 16x16 bitwise, but that's once a week rather than daily like the OP was asking for.

If it's an every day puzzle, I'd vote for an easy 8x8/7x7, since it really is the first gap in puzzles. Or maybe a difficult non-patterned 6x6, that'd work too.

Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 am

pnm wrote:
If there was one extra puzzle every day, which puzzle type should it be??

Patrick

It is interesting the possibility of an extra puzzle, let's say "weekly" (with, i.e., 7 days to solve it, like an 13x13 on saturdays, etc.) and another extra 16x16, let's say, the days 1, 11 and 21 of every month (with 10 days for the solution) (this is actually possible since the number of puzzlers has increased considerably in the site and the puzzlers are much more expert solving the big puzzles).

Apart of this, and considering the "regular" puzzles, we actually have three 6x6 (everyday) and two 7x7 or 8x8 depending on the day of the week (5 puzzles everyday in these three categories). Instead of that, in case of adding an extra puzzle everyday, I would remove the easy 6x6 and reorganize the puzzles so that everyday has two 6x6, two 7x7 and two 8x8 (medium and difficult in all three categories). In this way, having 14 7x7's and 14 8x8's along the week, you have the possibility of introducing new puzzle types, because the 7x7 and the 8x8 are very suitable sizes for novelties.

The idea suggested by sneaklyfox of a no-op 5x5 puzzle could be implemented any day of the week in the 5x5 difficult in a similar manner as the successful introduction of the neg numbers puzzles on mondays and fridays.

Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:06 am

pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:

Well not really because I'm busy enough... and actually I don't remember there being an 8x8 easy (when was that?) but perhaps some puzzlers out there would like to do a bigger puzzle without it being too difficult. Anyway, if the thought is that there are too many puzzles in a day why are we now talking about adding another one?

This is totally unrelated, but I wanted to mention how surprised I was to have pulled off a 28-sec 6x6 on the timed puzzles today considering that I have a stomachache and am feeling nauseous (I think I got stomach flu!) I'm often surprised at the times I get when I think I'm really tired... like I tend to get better times at 1 or 2am in the morning than at 10pm...

Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:38 am

16x16

Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 am

16x16 [thumbsup]

Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:19 am

pnm wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:

I think (because I don't have the capabilities to do bit/wise or the mod puzzles as I am sure there are plenty of other users in the "same boat") that an 8x8/7x7 easy would be good for those of us who are not in the "too hard to do" camp......you do want to attract more users but I don't think you will if you keep adding more difficult puzzles.

Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:51 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
Anyway, if the thought is that there are too many puzzles in a day why are we now talking about adding another one?

Not really. My question was another way of asking "what is your favourite puzzle?" [mellow]

Oh and nice work on the 28 second 6x6, and get well soon..
(or maybe not, since it seems to help your times :-) )

Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next