View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Daylight Saving Time 

Posted on: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:13 am

Post Daylight Saving Time
Patrick: when do you go on Daylight Saving Time.....I know it's different than in North America and of course would mess up the deadline for puzzles for a short time.

Posted on: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Post Re: Daylight Saving Time
beaker wrote:
Patrick: when do you go on Daylight Saving Time.....I know it's different than in North America and of course would mess up the deadline for puzzles for a short time.

It is in fact possible to find this information on the Interwebs :-)

Google points me to this page:
European Summer Time.

So the first upcoming time change is on March 25th.

Patrick

Posted on: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:06 pm

That'll be easy to remember. Right on my birthday!

Posted on: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:53 pm

pnm wrote:
beaker wrote:

It is in fact possible to find this information on the Interwebs :-)

Google points me to this page:
European Summer Time.

So the first upcoming time change is on March 25th.

Patrick

Yes, in the last 14 years, as seen in the google reference that you mention, in the countries involved (coloured in red), those that use Central European Time (either winter or summer), we have been accustomed to those changes in the clock the last weekend of March and the last weekend of October. It always takes place the night from Saturday to Sunday (so the impact on the people, business, etc., is minimized), this year 2012 the night from Sat 24 to Sun 25 (March) (next year it will not be in your birthday, sneaklyfox), at 02:00 on Sunday 25, we will move the clock to 03:00 (many people do it late in the night on saturday [thumbsup] ) having from this point 2 hours of difference with the "solar time", let's say, the Greenwich Meridian Time for Spain and France, for instance (this night we loose one hour of sleep and the day has "23 hours"). Inversely, the last weekend of October, 27-28 this year, at 03:00 we will move the clock to 02:00 (we gain an hour of sleep, the trains stop one hour, etc. ... and the day has "25 hours"). UK, Ireland, Portugal and Canary Islands (Spain) (coloured in blue), ... , have one hour less the full year (either in winter or in summer) with respect to the rest of the European countries coloured in red (this last is a big area, some advantages, if you travel from Paris to Berlin you keep the same times [smile] ).
For me, a similar mnemonic rule, for instance, for the Thanks Giving Day (to remember if it was the third or the last Thursday of November) took me some time.

Posted on: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Daylight Saving time will occur at 2:00 hours on the morning of Sunday the 11th of March in North America.

Posted on: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:19 am

Just a note to remind North American users that we will be back one hour for our deadline when Europe goes on daylight savings time this weekend.

Posted on: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:31 am

No puzzles yet......oops, I bet Europe went off daylight savings time this AM :-)

North American users will get back there normal times once again on Sunday, November 3rd :-)

Posted on: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:38 am

Europe must be off Daylight time as North American puzzles are delayed an hour [cursing
I believe North America goes off on Nov. 30 (at least where we are in BC, Canada)

Posted on: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:57 am

beaker wrote:
Europe must be off Daylight time as North American puzzles are delayed an hour [cursing
I believe North America goes off on Nov. 30 (at least where we are in BC, Canada)

Mexico recently stopped using this crazy system (but cities bordering the US can still use DST).

The US will maybe stop next year (?)

Europe was going to earlier, but things got delayed because of COVID I think
(you'd think the whole lockdown period was a good time to stop this nonsense, but who am I [glare] )

& note that you can always see the time the server is on at the bottom of the page.

Posted on: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:26 am

US fell back this weekend. I checked for Europe and you may fall back on Sunday.

Yes it would be nice to change the clocks twice a year, but I dont think that will happen.
An experiment was done in the the 1970 in the US, and it only lasted two years because people didnt like it.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/1 ... -hated-it/

Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next