View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 February puzzel-Red Cross tribute 

Posted on: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Post Re: February puzzel-Red Cross tribute
beaker wrote:
I think Patrick added an edit to his first post rather than posting a new message (because I couldn't find it either, so went back and checked all the posts).

Casually I saw the code in the Dutch Forum first (published together with the puzzle) and sent the solution (that I already had in standby) via the "Books" page ... (I was impatient to see if it was working well with that code sp1), though the reedition of the original post by Patrick was sent a few minutes before to the English Forum than the announcement of the Christmas Puzzle in the Dutch Forum (both on Dec 31) (the original announcement in the English Forum was published on Dec 26, as we can see).
But, for instance, in the Spanish Forum it was never published (the puzzle itself) (Patrick was travelling), particularly myself I forgot the subject after I sent the solution, otherwise I could have helped reminding Patrick this lack ...
I am sure that earlier or later we will have a 16x16 in the main page (as mentioned by sneaklyfox), "regularly", and then the special Christmas or New Year Puzzles will not have special codes ... and giving even more points due the special dates [smile] [smile].

Posted on: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:48 am

pnm wrote:
tom wrote:
I also missed the code, because i was also looking for a new post

I guess next time I should do both...
(edit the original post for first-time viewers, and add a new post for people
who already read the thread)

That would be nice. I don't think the edited post got highlighted as unread so I missed it.

Posted on: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:11 am

Considering the number of responses from people who missed the code because it didn't really show up, I suggest Patrick allow next 1-2 days maybe with notification on the main page for entering the solution for the Christmas puzzle. But that's just a suggestion. I already submitted mine so it makes no difference to me.

Posted on: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi, Nicow.

I have just finished your two puzzles of February.
I want to suggest you [ and (or) Patrick ] to publish the book " 101 16x16 medium and hard puzzles ".
Many people would be happy and pleased with it.

Posted on: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 pm

jomapil wrote:
Hi, Nicow.

I have just finished your two puzzles of February.
I want to suggest you [ and (or) Patrick ] to publish the book " 101 16x16 medium and hard puzzles ".
Many people would be happy and pleased with it.

Sure a book like that would be very welcome by the "www.calcudoku.org" puzzlers. Additionally I would suggest to assign points (i.e., 25 per puzzle) to create more motivation.

Posted on: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 pm

clm wrote:
Sure a book like that would be very welcome by the "www.calcudoku.org" puzzlers. Additionally I would suggest to assign points (i.e., 25 per puzzle) to create more motivation.

I think 25 point per puzzle would be a bit much although I don't really mind. Maybe 15 points? But yes, assigning points would create more motivation. Most likely I wouldn't do many puzzles that didn't award points unless I were really bored.

Posted on: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:00 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
clm wrote:

I think 25 point per puzzle would be a bit much although I don't really mind. Maybe 15 points? But yes, assigning points would create more motivation. Most likely I wouldn't do many puzzles that didn't award points unless I were really bored.

But 15 points is even less than the actual 16 points for the 12x12’s. Well, considering the 9x9 puzzle as the “gravity center” of the punctuation, that is, 10 points for filling 81 cells, using the proportionality we would find:

Points = (n ^ 2) x 10 / 81 (being n the size of the puzzle) so

4x4 = 1,98 points (1, 2 and 2 are assigned to the easy, medium or difficult everyday)
5x5 = 3,09 points (2, 3 and 3 or 2, 4 and 4 on wednesdays and thursdays)
6x6 = 4,44 points (3, 4 and 5 or 3, 5 and 7 on sundays and mondays)
7x7 = 6,05 points (5, 9)
8x8 = 7,90 points (7, 8)
9x9 = 10,00 points
10x10 = 12,35 points
12x12 = 17,78 points
16x16 = 31,60 points
17x17 = 35,68 points
19x19 = 44,57 points

Some comments (of course the level of difficulty, etc., is a very subjective question …):

The value of the difficult 8x8’s (these include the “from 0”, “mod” and “bitwise OR”) is 8 points and decreases to 7 points for the mediums (in my opinion, perhaps 9 points for those difficult three is a possibility and 8 points for the other, since 7,90 rounds to 8).

The value of the 9x9’s is always 10 points since there is not a division into easy, medium or difficult (in some way this is compensating the clearly more difficult on tuesdays with the other days of the week) (but, perhaps, 11 points for the one on tuesdays is another possibility keeping 10 points for the other).

14 points are assigned to the 10x10’s (very generous in my opinion, considering the 100 cells and that “proportion” of 12,35 points) (in this case, 13 points for the one on tuesdays, clearly more difficult than the one on fridays, and 12 points for the one on Fridays, is an alternate possibility).

The 12x12 are “undervaluated”, 16 points instead of the expected 18 (rounding that figure of 17,78).

But in the case of the 16x16, 25 points is not and excessively generous punctuation since the same proportion gives 31,60 points, and that’s why I suggested the same 25 points assigned by Patrick to the Christmas Puzzle, that I considered a good valuation.

Finally, if one day we have a 19x19, we could think in around 45 points.

Posted on: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 am

Ah right, 12x12 is 16 points so it should be more for a 16x16. 25 points just sounds like a lot. I didn't want to be too greedy. [wink]

Posted on: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:40 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Ah right, 12x12 is 16 points so it should be more for a 16x16. 25 points just sounds like a lot. I didn't want to be too greedy. [wink]

We know it's a game and we solve the puzzles not only for the points but mainly for pleasure ... anyway I understand your point of view, in the first book "101 Advanced Puzzles", 12 points were assigned to different size puzzles (including the 12x12's and an extra 15x15), that is, below the 14 points for a normal 10x10 in the site, i.e.; in the book "102 Large Puzzles" (all of the type 12x12 and an extra 15x15) all puzzles had 12 points, and in the book "100 Free Calcudoku Puzzles" 8 points were given to different 6x6's, 8x8's and 9x9's (even to a unique 5x5), then in the case of the 9x9's below the usual 10 points in the page. I believe Patrick was considering the fact that some people could not easily acquire the books for several reasons.

To prepare a book with 16x16's requires a lot of effort, and also to solve them, and a good punctuation would also enhance the interest for buying the book ... [thumbup] .

Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3