View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Looking for more data 

Posted on: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Post Looking for more data
Survey

Since one of the major conclusions from the discussions of the paper was that there were several distorting factors which we lacked data to represent which could have contributed to the data, I'm trying to get more data.

Basically, please do the survey found at the top of the post.

Posted on: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Post Re: Looking for more data
I suggest for age you put categories:
- under 12
- 13 to 19
- 20-29
- 30-39
etc.

Browser:
IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, other more common browsers, Other

Same with time. And not sure how to get the average since we can only see the best 65%.

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:38 am

I'm only allowed 10 survey questions because I don't pay for an account. I'll move some things around, though, so that things make more intuitive sense.

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 am

Okay, so to the three people who had done it already (One of whom was me), if you wouldn't mind doing it again very quickly now that the questions actually make some form of sense as to the logical organization of collecting the data.

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:07 am

I guess when you get more responses you'll be able to tell who is what age and has what kind of education because the exact times for different users are unique.

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:28 am

Done.

My average is pretty bad, if I can't solve it in a good time (top 20 for the first puzzle or my current day best time) I stop solving the puzzle and move to the next.

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:07 am

Have now taken survey that starling has in his post at the top of this page and encourage other users to do same as I would be interested in the differences of puzzling compared to age of puzzler [thumbup]

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

I did the survey.

I like to note that just like Arjen, when I can't finish a puzzle fast enough I disregard it and don't finish it at all.

Lately I don't go for speed since I rarely finish in the top ten and just finish a puzzle for the 1 point.

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:28 pm

honkhonk wrote:
Lately I don't go for speed since I rarely finish in the top ten and just finish a puzzle for the 1 point.

I'm thinking now that maybe I should show a user's personal best as well
with each puzzle (or the top 3 times, for example)

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:58 pm

I did the survey.

I'd like to add that I, too, often give up on 5x5s and 6x6s if I know I'm not going to get a good time, which explains my less-than-good average on the 6x6.

On the question about education, I answered 'Bachelor degree', though I don't have one yet - I'm now in the 5th year of high school and next year I'll have my final exams, after that I plan to go to university and get a bachelor degree, probably in Molecular Science and Technology (for the Dutch-speaking: here is some information about MST).

I started doing Sudokus at the age of 8, and for years I was hardly seen without a book of Sudoku puzzles. But in february 2011, at the age of 12, I discovered Calcudokus, at a reunion of a maths summercamp (again, more information for Dutch-speaking people). Since then I've hardly done any Sudokus, Calcudokus are much more fun [biggrin] Instead, I've done many of the puzzles on 321monkey.nl and on this site (and occasionaly some on kenken.com).

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next