View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 A free auxiliary program 

Posted on: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:35 am

Post Re: A free auxiliary program
jomapil wrote:

... At this moment I have upgraded my program till 16x16 dimension, introducing the zero, and correcting some bugs. Soon I will publish the new version.
At the same time I want to share all my facilities with everyone that wants it. 5 days ago I'm ill with an annoying gastroenteritis. When I am completely recovered I will perform all these promises ( maybe in a week I return to you to send the source code in Turbo C ).

Till soon.

Sure, the 16x16 will come soon and your program would be a good help. But first of all get recovered, pse, it would be nice to see you again among the "calcuholics".

Posted on: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Thank you for your words, Clm.
I'm solving the last puzzles of the books and for that I'm a little distant from the High Competition.
Soon I will return to the social contact of our community.
Till the next.

Posted on: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:20 pm

I have just put here http://www.mediafire.com/?e9a3tl2ouku2gam the new version of the program.

1 - Corrected some bugs.

2 - I extended till 16x16 all the operations ( except Exponentiation - only 12x12 ).

3 - Introduction the zero for Addition and Subtraction ( On account of the nature of the zero it didn't seem important to include it with the other operations ).

There are many more things to improve. If anyone wants, feel free to ask me the source program in Turbo C - Jomapil@hotmail.com

Posted on: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:26 am

Thank you for the helpful program!

I would like to see an option to set a maximum size. For instance, if I'm doing an 8x8 puzzle, I don't want to see the possibilities that contain numbers above 8. And also an option to remove zero.

I found a bug. When it asks "Same operation?" it allows any input and anything other than "y" or "n" breaks the program.

Posted on: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks, Jake4.

Your observations were registered and in a next version they will be considered.

Posted on: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:14 pm

jomapil wrote:
I have just put here http://www.mediafire.com/?e9a3tl2ouku2gam the new version of the program.

1 - Corrected some bugs.

2 - I extended till 16x16 all the operations ( except Exponentiation - only 12x12 ).

3 - Introduction the zero for Addition and Subtraction ( On account of the nature of the zero it didn't seem important to include it with the other operations ).

There are many more things to improve. If anyone wants, feel free to ask me the source program in Turbo C - Jomapil@hotmail.com

You made a big effort again. Undoubtedly your program is a very good help (even for those who prefer to obtain the combinations arithmetically, for a double check). I have seen the extension to 16x16 (including the 13, 14, ... ) and the new features introduced. My suggestions (for a future version 5 and in line with those I sent you for the version 3) are:

For the presentation: first a wider window and secondly in form of a table (when many combinations).

For the sequence of the operations I would present first the four algebraic (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, the order not very relevant, though I see your original idea was to place first the multiplication because is the more often used) and later the special operations.

The little "bugs" (like "6+" = 2 + 2 + 2 in a 3-cell cage, ... ) are not relevant since the puzzler can forget those.

The program does not Quit with the option 8.

Finally I understand that asking for the "shape" of the cage (initially for a small number of cells, let's say, 2, 3 or 4) would represent a lot of programming.

Muito obrigado.

Posted on: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I promise they will be introduced in the next version.
You had before suggested to eliminate the useless repetitions ( such as 20=4+4+4+4+4 ) but it would introduce a great effort of programming. Actually I'm 69 years old and I didn't program 30 years ago. ( And "my" language was not Turbo C but Fortran because I was an engineer and it was the programming language at those times).
As you can see I returned today to the High Competition with 86 points in this first day. Let's see if I succeed to reenter the top ten again.

Hasta la próxima.

Posted on: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:14 pm

jomapil wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions. I promise they will be introduced in the next version.
You had before suggested to eliminate the useless repetitions ( such as 20=4+4+4+4+4 ) but it would introduce a great effort of programming. Actually I'm 69 years old and I didn't program 30 years ago. ( And "my" language was not Turbo C but Fortran because I was an engineer and it was the programming language at those times).
As you can see I returned today to the High Competition with 86 points in this first day. Let's see if I succeed to reenter the top ten again.

Hasta la próxima.

I understand, I appreciate your program because it has been created here and for the people in this site, that makes the difference (also you have generously offered your code).

The important thing is that you are totally recovered, doing the daily puzzles is the priority [smile]. I have just seen your golden star (BTW today's 9x9 has been rated a little low, 85.9, in my opinion, 8 subtraction cages, three of them "0-", which initially have 20 possibilities each ... !; while, in the other hand, today's 10x10, being more difficult than the usual on fridays, looks certainly easier than the 9x9, and has a rating of 96.6 ... [smile]).

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi, everyone.
I'm here http://www.mediafire.com/?eee871kd7725du6 with a new version of the program.
The new alterations introduced are:

1) A new order of the options.
2) Introduction of the maximum and minimum values to consider.
3) Division extended to 4x4.
4) Automatic introduction of the sum of the operands.
5) Corrected some bugs.

This version was only tested in some options. So if any bug is found please let me know.

Posted on: Fri May 18, 2012 3:10 pm

jomapil wrote:
Hi, everyone.
I'm here http://www.mediafire.com/?eee871kd7725du6 with a new version of the program.
The new alterations introduced are:

1) A new order of the options.
2) Introduction of the maximum and minimum values to consider.
3) Division extended to 4x4.
4) Automatic introduction of the sum of the operands.
5) Corrected some bugs.

This version was only tested in some options. So if any bug is found please let me know.

First of all many thanks for your effort [thumbsup], new order is better, maximum and minimum values too, ... .

Initially I have observed that still the program does not Quit with the actual option q.

The sums of the operands (for the products), when the dimension of the cage is 5, are not well calculated (it seems that they reproduces only the first operand), i. e., try the "640x", 5 cells, in a 9x9 fm 1 to 9. But 6 cells works OK.

And, since the program does not quit, you must close the window and reopen the program every time you want to modify the maximum and minimum, for instance. The maximum and minimum could be included in the main menu. Another possibility is that the "Quit" brings you the initial setting (for a new puzzle size and type) asking again for the maximum and minimum ... .

I will continue testing other features and let you know if I find "anomalies".

Reedit: BTW, jomapil, perhaps you may ask Patrick to move this full thread "A free auxiliary program" to the section "Solving strategies and tips" or, do you prefer it in "Calcudoku general"?.

Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next