View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Hard patterns 

Posted on: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Post Hard patterns
I would like to know the opinion about the difficult diagrams.
The diagram of the puzzle 9x9 of today (20Mar2012) is, for me, one of the more difficult. It is always a hard work when it appears. And I think most of the people think the same because today at 17H30M TMG only 8 puzzlers had a golden star!
It took me 54 " reboots " and 6 hours to complete it.

And you?

Posted on: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Post Re: Hard patterns
Yes, I think maybe today's pattern is one of the more difficult. I'm not sure if it's always the most difficult though. This one took me longer to solve but it was because I kept making the same logic error (I think). I had to restart it a few times too. Blame the pregnancy brain... btw, I'm officially due in a month plus a day!

Posted on: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I tend to think puzzles with several large cages do pose the greatest challenge. Today's (20 March, 2012) 9x9 was definitely the hardest and the difficult 6x6 was the second hardest. In contrast, the 10x10 pattern with 10 single cell cages and all the rest 2-cell cages I find to be among the easiest of the larger puzzles each week.

Posted on: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 am

Tuesday's 9x9 has always been difficult for me but with this one I tried a number of different strategies over a 2 hour period and basically got no where......where upon I gave up.

And because I have no idea how to do the "bit/wise" puzzle other than by guessing and trial and error with the chart clm provided, I wasn't able to get this one either.........Ken

Posted on: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:24 am

beaker wrote:
Tuesday's 9x9 has always been difficult for me but with this one I tried a number of different strategies over a 2 hour period and basically got no where......where upon I gave up.

And because I have no idea how to do the "bit/wise" puzzle other than by guessing and trial and error with the chart clm provided, I wasn't able to get this one either.........Ken

A good way to figure out the bitwise op is to always have the error check on. most of the cells are only 2 numerals in length... so can give you a pretty clear idea of what does and does not work (i.e. 6| = {6 4 2}

Posted on: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:53 am

OK
for a clearer explanation of what the bitwise operationios is:

The system we usually use is called the decimal system. It's called this because we have ten numerals; 0 through 9. The bit system has only two numerals; 0 and 1.

If you remember the carry operation from basic arithmetic, you know that if you add two numerals together and get a summation greater than 9, you than carry it over to another place. This works the same in the bit system.

To translate the decimal system into the bit system you need only count:

ie; 1=1, 2=10, 3=11, 4=100, 5=101, 6=110, 7=111, 8=1000, etc

The or operation over the bit system treats each digit as seperate. There is no carry in the or operation. The numeral in each digit of the result is entirely dependent upon whether one of the operands had a 1 in the same place. If it did, than the result has a 1 in that same place. Otherwise, a 0.
i.e.:

1010 (or)
____
1110 *all possible cases

Posted on: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 am

I did a mistake: I began the puzzle 24 times and not 54 [biggrin] . But is right it wasted me 6 hours!

I don't think I always did the same logic error because I began 6 or 7 different ways: that puzzle is indeed very hard.

Beaker : Picklepep explained very well what bitwise OR is. You can use the tables of Clm or my program ( http://www.mediafire.com/?e9a3tl2ouku2gam ).

P.S. - Sneaklyfox, in Portugal we use a phrase to the pregnants I don't know if in Canada use some similar phrase: " I wish you a very good hour for you ( and for the baby ) ".

Posted on: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:11 am

I always have the error check on and as I said I do use clm's notes but I just couldn't get the numbers to line up right.....but maybe I'll get it next week with all these helpfull ideas......thanks again for the support...........Ken

Posted on: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:01 pm

jomapil wrote:
I did a mistake: I began the puzzle 24 times and not 54 [biggrin] . But is right it wasted me 6 hours!

Note that it should be possible to edit your own posts, so you should be able to change the 54 to 24.

Patrick

Posted on: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks, Patrick.

But after the edition the thread passes to unread? Or a person that read the first time doesn't know it was corrected?

Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next