View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Looking for more data 

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Post Re: Looking for more data
pnm wrote:
I'm thinking now that maybe I should show a user's personal best as well
with each puzzle (or the top 3 times, for example)

Patrick

Maybe there can be a separate page for each user to go to see their own records for personal best, top 3 times, and average. And maybe if a user beat their own personal best they could get a special message that says they have a new personal record. And also special messages for getting new all-time records.

sheldolina wrote:
On the question about education, I answered 'Bachelor degree', though I don't have one yet - I'm now in the 5th year of high school and next year I'll have my final exams, after that I plan to go to university and get a bachelor degree, probably in Molecular Science and Technology (for the Dutch-speaking: here is some information about MST).

Whoa... 5th year of high school and you're only 13?!? MST sounds pretty nerdy. Actually, it might also be interesting to know what people majored in as part of their education.

sheldolina wrote:
I started doing Sudokus at the age of 8, and for years I was hardly seen without a book of Sudoku puzzles. But in february 2011, at the age of 12, I discovered Calcudokus, at a reunion of a maths summercamp (again, more information for Dutch-speaking people). Since then I've hardly done any Sudokus, Calcudokus are much more fun [biggrin] Instead, I've done many of the puzzles on 321monkey.nl and on this site (and occasionaly some on kenken.com).

Yeah, I started with some Sudokus too but definitely not at age 8. I hadn't even heard of Sudokus until after I graduated from university but once I discovered Calcudoku, I stopped doing Sudokus. I think Calcudokus are much more fun too.

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 pm

I also stop doing a 5x5 or 6x6 when I am looking at a nearly completed puzzle and realize the left over numbers are not going to give me the solution for which I was aiming and simply leave the puzzle to get another one.

Question: if you do that, are you awarded a certain time or does it not register at all?

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:27 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Whoa... 5th year of high school and you're only 13?!?

I'm 14 now. ^^

beaker wrote:
Question: if you do that, are you awarded a certain time or does it not register at all?

If you leave the puzzle page before completing the puzzle, you will not be on the rankings, but the time that counts for your 65% best average is 18 minutes.

Posted on: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 pm

18 minutes.....yikes.....that certainly won't help an average.....I guess I'll have to rethink my strategy or not......after all, I will never get into the top rankings and pretty much do them for the extra 3 points/day.

Sudoku: started when I was about 58 and did them and taught students how to use them to improve certain skills needed in the classroom and didn't start calcudoku's (kenken) until about 4 years ago when my son gave me a calendar where you did 4's, 5's and 6's each week and then this site plus some of the books Patrick has published.....but, I really can't get any with 4 stars or more in the 101 Advanced Puzzles (nor any of the bit/wise or mod puzzles).....did do most of the twins (am now 67 and retired).

Posted on: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 am

Alright, I did the survey too :-)

And yes, plenty of 18 minute times on the 5x5 and 6x6 for me
(although lately I'm trying to slowly eliminate them by solving them,
even when I run over 1 minute or so)

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:57 am

sheldolina wrote:
sneaklyfox wrote:
Whoa... 5th year of high school and you're only 13?!?

I'm 14 now. ^^

Not that that makes much of a difference. Here in Canada (and the US as well), high school starts at Grade 9. Since people are in Grade 1 when they are about 6 years of age, that means that we are 14 years old when we start high school and about 17 or 18 when we finish. (4 years of high school.) So sheldolina, you're finishing when we're just starting. So your education system must be quite different or you're a genius and skipped several grades...

As for giving up on puzzles, I hate giving up so I never do it, even if I totally missed something (like filling in a single-cell "given" cage with the wrong number and I've done that a few times) and end up with a time of 5 minutes because I was stupid.

Posted on: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Bumping this up to see if we can get any more data out of it.

Only 15 people have done the survey so far, which is a really small sample size.

Posted on: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 am

How do I access the survey.....do I have to register to take it or????

Sorry, I forgot that had done it......too many things going on in the Forum for me to remember.

Last edited by beaker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:36 am

beaker wrote:
How do I access the survey.....do I have to register to take it or????

Link is in the very first post. Go to page 1.

Posted on: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am

Maybe it is possible for Patrick to temporarely place the link on the main puzzle site?

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2