View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Easter puzzles 

Posted on: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Post Easter puzzles
Are they a bit special today, or is it me getting better at it? I was able to solve all the large ones (8x8, 9x9, 12x12) analytically, no guessing at all. It is the first time I did a 12x12 without any guessing (OK, not that I'm very experienced [smile]).

Posted on: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Post Re: Easter puzzles
I don't think the 12x12 was any easier as I still took 1.5 hrs to do it.

Posted on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 am

Somewhat less time in my case, but the point of my post is, that I never used try and error when solving it, every number I entered in the diagram must have been in this exact position. Sometmes it took me a while to find the next logcal step, but there always has been one. In previus 12x12 I solved there was always a point at which I had to try and enter one of the possible values for a cell and see if tdoes not lead to some contradiction later on (sometimes much later...)

Posted on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 am

I understand.......for me, cage 990x and cage 23+ I put in what I thought were the right answers but when I came to cage 33+ I knew that 23+ was wrong and therefore 990x also was incorrect and once those cages were fixed then the rest of the puzzle slowly became solvable......so, questionis were the first 2 cages a guess......I don't think they were as I was using the info I had at that time to come up with a good solution (which of course I found out later to be incorrect)......so, one could say I didn't guess on any of the cells in order to solve the puzzle.......I'm "guessing" that I didn't guess!

Posted on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 am

jotempe wrote:
Somewhat less time in my case, but the point of my post is, that I never used try and error when solving it, every number I entered in the diagram must have been in this exact position. Sometmes it took me a while to find the next logcal step, but there always has been one. In previus 12x12 I solved there was always a point at which I had to try and enter one of the possible values for a cell and see if tdoes not lead to some contradiction later on (sometimes much later...)

Kudos to you jotempe! I find that in most of the 12x12 puzzles there is actually no need to guess(or trial and error, if you deem). It's more about finding that one little piece that opens the rest of the puzzle up. It always seems obvious after the fact, but feels sooo good as you are getting it.

Posted on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:02 am

So true picklepep.....so true.....due to the increase in heart rate as soon as I feel I know what the remaing cells require.

Posted on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 am

Wow, every number in the exact position.
In the beginning I enter all correct numbers in thier cages and when possible the exact position.

For me too: no guessing yesterday.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]