View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Timed Puzzle Bonus 

Posted on: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:41 am

Post Re: Timed Puzzle Bonus
pnm wrote:
I think that connecting the timed and bonus puzzles may make things a bit too convoluted / complicated.

Patrick

Well, it was just a suggestion. I just couldn't think of a good way of changing the current awards system for timed puzzles without adding more points or else using a decimal point system or something. But maybe if the timed and untimed puzzles are separated, people wouldn't complain if there were more points awarded for timed puzzles.

Posted on: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:54 am

sneaklyfox wrote:
pnm wrote:
I think that connecting the timed and bonus puzzles may make things a bit too convoluted / complicated.

Patrick

Well, it was just a suggestion. I just couldn't think of a good way of changing the current awards system for timed puzzles without adding more points or else using a decimal point system or something. But maybe if the timed and untimed puzzles are separated, people wouldn't complain if there were more points awarded for timed puzzles.

Yeah, I definitely think that if timed puzzles don't mess up the untimed rankings any more (Which, to be honest, I think that the untimed and timed rankings are less important than a combined ranking would be and should be treated as such, because if you do the combined, you show both skills rather than only one.), then we should definitely get more timed puzzle points.

Posted on: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:16 pm

pnm wrote:
... The code for computing the separate rankings I already finished (sometime last year I think (!)), but the
work still left is to integrate it with the page.

Patrick

Perhaps you may split the "Last 7 Days" into five columns (with scrolling bars):

Untimed - Timed - Books - Bonus - Total

and do an identical split with the "Daily average over the last 30 days" and with the "All Time", leaving only one column for the "Nr consecutive days solving puzzles" (which in the future you may split into 100 days, 200 days, ... , if convenient).

The interesting thing is to separate the punctuations. I assume you have set flags (in the software) to identify the different types of points so that just looking to the "individual histories" you can calculate those rankings from the beginning, that would apparently be the correct procedure. In other case, obviously, the rankings must depart from the moment of the implementation of the new feature, with the actual totals, and it would not be possible to have information about the past months, though anything will be welcome.

Posted on: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:53 am

If the above is possible, I would certainly favor that as I would be able to tell how well I am doing against the rest of the users in doing only the untimed puzzles; plus I can still see the entire total and where I am in relation to others......I know my timed speeds will be somewhere in the middle because I can't memorize the position of the numbers nor do I have the coordination of mind and fingers to get any lower times......users like sheldolina, sneaklyfox, starling, etc must be able to text message quite fast.....I would be curious as to how many words you can text in, say 30 seconds (I think typing scores are calculated using "5 letter words"/minute).

Posted on: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:50 am

beaker wrote:
....users like sheldolina, sneaklyfox, starling, etc must be able to text message quite fast.....I would be curious as to how many words you can text in, say 30 seconds (I think typing scores are calculated using "5 letter words"/minute).

Typing speed is mentioned around page 6/7 of this same thread. I'm fairly fast with typing. But as "texting" goes... I don't have a cell phone...

Posted on: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:09 am

Thank you sneaklyfox.....I did go back to pages 6,7 and 8 and was amazed at the speeds that were discussed.....when the 4x4 puzzle is exposed on the screen, it takes me over 4 sec. just to look at it and start with my first entry!

Posted on: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:18 pm

sneaklyfox wrote:
Related, can there be a timer (option of course for those who like it and those who don't like that kind of pressure) on the regular puzzles too not for record or points but for personal interest and "practice" so we know what sort of times we are getting on those?

I've added a message to that effect to the "solved box".

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Patrick: I assume the time will start as soon as the puzzle appears with all the numbers and procedures......I just tried a couple of experiments and have the answer to this question........plus I did yeterday's 4x4's to get times and then I wrote down the answers to see how long it would take me to input all the correct numbers knowing the correct sequence and found that with my poor skills with the keyboard. I couldn't do a time less than 19 seconds....just wanted to prove to myself that a sub 20 sec. regular timed puzzle would be impossible for me.....thanks for doing this and it will be fun to see how well I can do in the future (as I noted that the first 8 puzzles took a total of 12 minutes yesterday but will now be able to appreciate the times taken for each of them............Ken

Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13