View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Degree of difficulty 

Posted on: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Post Degree of difficulty
Can anyone explain me the following: There are two ways to attribute the degree of difficulty of a puzzle. One are the stars 3 *s, 5 *s,... The other one is the number at the lower left corner. What are the differences between the two classifications?

BTW, lately I have dedicated more attention to the degree of difficulty ( the numbers ) and I have concluded it is very accurate and almost perfect ( of course there is the subjectivity of each player ). Beyond the monstrous dairy work of Patrick, he also succeeded with that classification. Congratulations, Patrick.

Posted on: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Post Re: Degree of difficulty
jomapil wrote:
BTW, lately I have dedicated more attention to the degree of difficulty ( the numbers ) and I have concluded it is very accurate and almost perfect ( of course there is the subjectivity of each player ). Beyond the monstrous dairy work of Patrick, he also succeeded with that classification. Congratulations, Patrick.

I have some thoughts about a better way to estimate the difficulty of a puzzle, but it would take quite some time to implement :(

There's a smaller fix upcoming that should eliminate the "trivial" timed puzzles.

Maybe I'll then clear people's times that were achieved on these trivial puzzles (not sure yet)(I'm expecting some response to this [scared]

Patrick

Posted on: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 pm

pnm wrote:
There's a smaller fix upcoming that should eliminate the "trivial" timed puzzles.

Maybe I'll then clear people's times that were achieved on these trivial puzzles (not sure yet)(I'm expecting some response to this [scared]

Patrick

What are "trivial" timed puzzles??

Posted on: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 pm

pnm wrote:
jomapil wrote:

I have some thoughts about a better way to estimate the difficulty of a puzzle, but it would take quite some time to implement :(

Patrick

A little in relation to the jomapil's comment, there is something I am curious about, Patrick, do you intervene in some way "every day" in the generation process of the calcudokus? (or, let's say, it normally works alone and automatically, that is, for instance, could you let your generator running alone for a long time and intervening only in case of modifying some specific type of puzzles ... ?).

Posted on: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:06 am

clm wrote:
pnm wrote:
jomapil wrote:

Patrick

A little in relation to the jomapil's comment, there is something I am curious about, Patrick, do you intervene in some way "every day" in the generation process of the calcudokus? (or, let's say, it normally works alone and automatically, that is, for instance, could you let your generator running alone for a long time and intervening only in case of modifying some specific type of puzzles ... ?).

Good question, Clm!

It's a curiosity I always liked to know.

Posted on: Sun May 20, 2012 7:49 am

As of 10:45 PDT the difficult 5x5 has a lower number of solvers than the medium 8x8........the 5x5 is rated 2 stars of difficulty where as the 8x8 is rated 4 stars of difficulty.......the 5x5 might possibly be rated higher than 2 stars.......what do you think [confused]

Posted on: Sun May 20, 2012 8:42 am

beaker wrote:
As of 10:45 PDT the difficult 5x5 has a lower number of solvers than the medium 8x8

Maybe there is another explanation:
People that like more the great diagrams and don't interest with the points and the rankings only solve the 8x8, 9x9 and so on. By example the more difficult puzzles of yesterday (19-MAY-2012) were solved, by 97 puzzlers ( 9x9 ) and 83 puzzlers ( 8x8 difficult ) and there were only near 30 golden stars. For that very reason the golden stars must be 83.
Anyway I agree with you about the number of points. If the classification would be independent for each group ( 4x4 would have a classification of 1-10, also the 9x9 and 12x12 and all these groups ) and so there is no comparison between different groups. In this case the beginners would have more points what would motivate them more to advance and not give up the calcudoku.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]